Get guests you can trust— every time

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Get guests you can trust— every time

Hello everyone,

I hope you are having a good day.

I wanted to let you know that we have updated the booking process to make sure you don’t have to host repeat guests if you don’t want to. Now, anytime you give a guest 3 stars or less, that guest will not be able to instantly book any of your spaces, even if you have Instant Book turned on.

Find out more in our Help Center.

What do you think about these changes? We’d love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

263 Replies 263
Claire10
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Great idea. Does the guest know or see that the host has only given them a three or less rating?

Claire. 

@Claire10 It seems to me that no. 

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Claire10
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thank you. 

Another question re new guests- I've had a message from a potential guest with only a flower on the profile photo space- no face. I was under the impression we were supposed to see who was trying to book with us.

Claire.  

@Claire10

Vast majority of my Guests I would not recognise from the photo.

David
Claire10
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Very true!  However a flower?! What might they be trying to hide by not putting a face to their profile?

Claire. 

Not in my experiance, but possible I suppose.

David

I tell prospective guests they must upload a full face photo ID before booking. Most do. If they are resistant - I don't want them. If they cooperate - that is a sign they may become a good guest.

@Claire10, before the photo was encouraged, I got a lit of flowers. Usually rather timid middle aged to elder ladies. Sometimes quickly hurt but to afraid to say so. If you insist, you get a photo, probably with a complicated explanation why she did not want it in the first place. Make your rules easy to understand and she will comply but for those where she knows better. (Rarely got a flower to use the dishwasher or leave the coffee cup for me to wash, but they wash it extra clean, 'better than the dishwasher ")

Janice85
Level 2
Australia

I am new to Airbnb and so far I have had 2 lots of guests and both have been excellent.  I have quite a few more lined up for the future and I just love what I am doing (except when things go bad and I stay up all night trying to fix the problem).  Apart from that, I am having fun and I am sure I have found my niche even though I just turned 76.  My guest at the moment has become my friend and we go to bingo together.  She is buying a unit here on the Gold Coast and I am sure we will stay friends after she (and her son) move out.  I now have another part of my property almost ready to host more guests.  I wish I had known about Airbnb much sooner... Jan

Peggy75
Level 3
Louisville, KY

First of all newbies need to be trained better in the star system and how not to lower stars unless they think long and hard about it first. They don't understand the many effects lowering stars has on the host. Secondly after all is said and done the host should be given an option to 1. Always let this guest book (maybe with discount) 2. 

Peggy75
Level 3
Louisville, KY

and 2. Never allow booking. 

Peggy75
Level 3
Louisville, KY

blocking guestslooks like when you block a message they can't book again. 

@Peggy75 As for the guests' careless rating - it would change if they received them as well. Once there was a ruler named Hammurabi. He was very smart...

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

It sounds like they CAN use instant book though. 

Maria1355
Level 1
Footscray, Australia

Thanks Lizzie, 

I think that is great.

It is a start! 

Thanks