Get guests you can trust— every time

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Get guests you can trust— every time

Hello everyone,

I hope you are having a good day.

I wanted to let you know that we have updated the booking process to make sure you don’t have to host repeat guests if you don’t want to. Now, anytime you give a guest 3 stars or less, that guest will not be able to instantly book any of your spaces, even if you have Instant Book turned on.

Find out more in our Help Center.

What do you think about these changes? We’d love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

263 Replies 263

The blocking is really just for messages. It reads as if the unwanted guest can still use instant book even if "blocked".

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

"Now, anytime you give a guest 3 stars or less, that guest will not be able to instantly book any of your spaces, even if you have Instant Book turned on."

Is this in effect if a host leaves just one 3 in the categories and 5's in the rest of the categories? 

OR... does a host have to leave 3's in all categories to come up with a 3 average?

Mark_Karen0
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

Instead of limiting repeat guests by a star rating, why not just add a "button" (for the host to click during the review process) that says "don't allow this guest to re-book my property"?  Seems like a lot easier way to handle those guests you don't want back.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mark_Karen0   I fully agree. It always seems like airbnb programmers make a process that should be straightforward and simple into some sort of maze that has always has an incomplete explanation (Is that 3 stars average, or 3 stars in at least one category?) for how it actually works. It's like they get an idea but don't follow it through to its logical consequence.

"Block from rebooking" seems pretty obvious and simple to me.

If I had one piece of all-encompassing advice for the airbnb platform, it would be- Learn to keep it simple.

Laura1531
Level 1
Tabio, Colombia

HELP!  Hi could somebody help me? I made a reservation to a guest the20th of February. . the reservation appeared on my airbnb calendar and I received the guest. I was waiting for my payment but I read first time it takes a while to receive it. I was not worry for the moment. .suddenly one day ( about 20 days after I received the guest) the guest sent me a message asking me about a reservation that was automatically made for the 20 of march ( I didnt did that reservation) I cancelled without penalty. The problem is that now I see my calendar and the first reservation disappear and there is only the last one I cancelled. . can somebody help me with this topic? Thanks! 

Jane433
Level 2
Long Beach, CA

This wouldn't be a overall bad criteria for all instant bookings.

Amecus-J-0
Level 3
Albuquerque, NM

not useful.  I would like to know if a guest has recieved lower ratings from OTHER HOSTS.  Guests can and do very easily create new profiles but it is a start.  

Troy0
Level 2
Austin, TX

Thanks for the update.

I would love it if Airbnb would allow the hosts to see the full star ratings of the guests before any confirmation of hosting. I think that this would even the playing field and help to ensure good behavior on behalf of the guests. Thanks for your consideration.

R0
Level 3
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Just like hosts get impacted by guest review, loose super host and so why not the guest also have to maintain a certain rating inorder to be able to use instant booking option in any property which is instant booking enabled. for example if a guest is having average lower then 4.0 star why should he be allowed to book instant when he has a history of negative reviews.  Also when a guest is repeatedly giving negative reviews there should be option to mark them as fake review, this way if the guest has 40% change of giving negative review to hosts that he visited in the past I need to know this upfront before he books and also such guests who have a history we should allow hosts to mark their review as fake review which get deleted if a certain criteria is met.  Also why to show rating average of life time, i feel last 1 year rating average should be shown only.

@Lizzie

That is a positive start... you just have to vigilant that someone else in the same family/group doesnt attempt to book instead...which is highly possible, as you will probably not know the other names in the group and .... you may well have set your booking criteria to accept first timers without previous reviews.

Peggy75
Level 3
Louisville, KY

I sent a “Do not return” note politely stated to two of my guests who left less that 5 stars. One i have not heard back from and one got all pissy about it. It was gratifying to feel like i can keep instant book on and still maintain control. My note went something like “we have studied the reviews left by our guests and found we were not able to please you to the level we strive so we are asking that you not book with us again. Thanks for giving us a try!” 

the first guest counted us down for noise but its a quiet complex- said she was a light sleeper. and the second one counted us down saying we needed better entry instructions when i have a highlighted map in the listing and detailed instruction that 60 other guests had no issue with whatsoever. 

I just like knowing they won’t be back. 

Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

@Lizzie-That is great! They should also have a block feature!

Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

@Mike0-I guess these are the reasons I've only done IB once.  My 1st IB was a crazy person who committed libel against me. When I told her in my response that I hoped she could find a cheap place next to the Bullhead City Court House, boy did that review come down fast. She was the 2nd libelist we have had. When I called ABB with proof that the 1st libelist was lying, no way would they take the review down, but they come down licky-split when the guest wants their lie ridden review removed. Strange values this company has.

Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

@Troy0 @R Of course they aren't going to do that because even if the guests are criminals they remove bad reviews and allow them to stay on the site. On eBay, we get to see reviews about them and reviews left by others. It's only right to be able to learn about someone before doing business w them, but this is all about ABB's bottom line, not about our comfort or safety.

Peggy75
Level 3
Louisville, KY

@Mike478 Wow after reading Mikes note i checked my booking settings under guest requirements and realized none of my three listings were turned on to indicate guests must have good reviews to ib!!! OMGosh that’s why i’ve been getting all the newbies- nitpicking over stupid stuff and counting down my stars. 

OH BROTHER. Be sure to check this setting. I have no idea how it got unchecked.