Host Community Tour: Lizzie's travel journal (Day 6 & 7 “meeting Robin”)

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Host Community Tour: Lizzie's travel journal (Day 6 & 7 “meeting Robin”)

Airport sign.JPG

Duration of visit: evening April 6th - 7th (morning)

Distance travelled (so far): 11932 miles / 19195 kilometers

Hello everyone,

Many of you guessed it, the person I went to visit in Adelaide, was indeed…our friend here, @Robin4. 🙂

I have to say flying close to 1500 kilometres to see someone for just over 12 hours was definitely a first, but it was so worth it! What a great host Robin and his lovely wife Ade were (and not forgetting Betts the dog).

The welcome sign...

I arrived into Adelaide airport from Sydney at about 8pm Adelaide time. For those of you who not based in Oz or familiar with local timezones, did you know you gain 30 minutes back? Amazing.

As I walked through the terminal towards the baggage area, I spot Robin coming through the security barriers. The first thing he says to me is, “oh no, you will never believe it, they wouldn’t let me bring my welcome sign through” and I thought, “aww that so nice of him...plus, why wouldn’t they let a paper sign through, security must be really tough here!”

Well, when we get back to the car, I realise the welcome sign was actually a long metal pole which he normally has outside his listing...no wonder they wouldn’t let it through! It was a very funny moment, we had to capture it in the car park instead!

Robin and Ade then cooked me a wonderful dinner of chicken risotto and a very nice pavlova, and the time flew by. Sadly, I didn’t take any photos, I was too busy eating.

Once there, I saw all the famous sight...including the man cave (which I remember an active conversation with Bruce here in the CC), which included a few tunes on the piano…

Piano.jpg

...and his beautiful garden, which is looking pretty amazing out of season and with no rain for four months.

Garden.jpg

After a great night sleep it was off to the airport again, but not before stopping at a local cafe for breakie (I know, I shouldn’t have caved to pancakes, but sometimes it has to be done!)

Adelaide breakfast.jpg

Over breakfast we talked more about the Community Center and it was nice to hear more about features he would find useful and why he likes being part of our great community. One of these being the ability to find all your past posts in one place.  What do you think?

After a beautiful drive through the Adelaide hills, I get to the airport and head off to Melbourne to meet with Laura, to catch our next flight (21 hours + 4 hour stop over) to...Rome.

Thank you Robin & Ade for having me, it was an absolute joy and  more than ever, I feel the connections and friendships we all make here on a daily basis, are so important and really shows we have friends all over the world.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

43 Replies 43
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Clara116 

'Belong anywhere' ....yes we do Clara.

I have had the 'coolest' life and I hate that one day it won't be 'cool' any more. But I never let a moment of it pass me by.

To sit across an old woodworking bench and talk about things with @Lizzie  over a Sunshine Ale is something I will take with me from here.

Clara, we make our breaks in life, we grab that odd carrot that comes along.....we may not always do it right, but we do it, and we can then file it away in our memory banks with a warm glow.... a sense of achievement!!

I love that I got to meet Lizzie!

Cheers......Rob

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Where is @Lizzie? I was hoping to see her next post...but the suspense is too much. I met her yesterday and what a joy it was. Free socks too. And some other stuff.

C'mon, @Lizzie - come up for air (and post another update).

Screenshot 2019-04-11 at 20.28.28.png

Screenshot 2019-04-11 at 20.28.43.png

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Haha @Gordon0, sorry for my delay. The 8 hour flight to Toronto knocked me out....check this out, here.

It was super duper nice meeting you yesterday. Would you mind sharing this photo on there? I didn't take a copy. 🙂 This is a great photo. I wish I had opened my mouth. hehe 

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Lizzie Now look here missy *looks down nose* you came all the way to the Southern Hemisphere, swapped air with our Rob and decided not to brave the extra 4-6 hours flight to NZ and visit your fellow countryman? Pfffft... that’s it, you’re dead to me ;D

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

😞 I know, I know @Ben551!

I said on so many occasions when we were travelling, awwww we are only a 3  hours by plane away from x, or we are just flying over y. I so wish it was longer, there just wasn't enough time. 

--------------------

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Lizzie Tut tut... but I understand... this time 🙂

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Gordon0 

I know exactly how you feel but, have a look now, it has come! 

Wasn't it a wonderful experience Gordon? We have a lot to be thankful for in the community

I hope you made better use of your time with Lizzie than I did! I was too busy playing the role of congenial host to do much constructive!

Cheers......Rob

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Gordon

@Quincy  @Clara116  @Ben551  @Alexandra316 

Yeah Gordon, I am with you mate...  @Lizzie's generousity was almost embarrassing for me, but I can understand it!

When we agreed to catch up here, Lizzie was still in England. We had thrown out the welcome mat for her to come here, stay with us and she wanted to respond to us, and this is how she did it....

IMG20190415140111.jpg

Lizzie put thought into what she bought here for me and it was so appreciated.

My indestructable keyring is in my pocket wherever I go....the Harrods biscuits will be for a special occasion, and I think I know what that occasion is going to be, and the bottle of Wynns........ I am going to drink by myself one night! I don't want anyone else to share the pleasure of drinking that!

Cheers......Rob

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Lizzie @Robin4 Really beautiful... not ashamed to admit that there is a tear in my eye. Amazing that you had the opportunity to connect, and it looks like a wonderful time.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Gordon0 @Lizzie  OK....bad enough we didn't get to meet Lizzie too - so we got to dream some with the photos and fun that was described. And time with all that went on. 

BUT Gordon - bragging and showing pics of the stuff YOU got and we didn't get - NOT COOL, dude.

I've been begging to have Airbnb socks - (I wear and collect very cool socks)  and you JUST receive them - 😞     Just because. Well, aren't you just special.......

Aren't you just the lucky ones - the wound was healing UNTIL I show the photo...OUCH. I will survive but the wound will be slower healing now.

hahaha.....thanks for the fun Gordon.

happy hosting, Clara

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

When I'm next in your part of the world, @Clara116 (likely December in NYC) I'll mail  you some of my company (London Underground) socks, I promise. Pay back enough?

tube-moquette-socks.jpg 

Or, if you prefer, bus socks...

bus-moquette-socks.jpg 

@Gordon0  WOW you are a prince to offer that. I totally love those socks....the ones from your company would be great - and I'll gladly cover it. I will private message my address. thanks for making my day with that kindness. joy, joy, joy,  Blessings, Clara

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Robin4  I do have that awesome Keyring and it is great -- really sturdy and its also in my purse or pocket all the time. Plus I'm wearing my Airbnb tshirts most days - 

Enjoy that bottle of wine.........looks perfect for you - blessings and many cheers, Clara

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

it's so great you meet @Lizzie @Gordon0 @Robin4  :)))

it so nice to meet in person with friends you talk day after day for years here on CC :)))