Your June 2018 Global Host Q&A

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Your June 2018 Global Host Q&A

HostQ&A-CommunityCenterGraphic-C.png

----------This message was last updated September, 3rd 2018----------

Update: We’ve gathered the questions and summaries of answers that were covered in the live Q&A. There’s lots more detail in the recording you won’t want to miss! To watch the entire answer to a particular question, just click “watch the full answer” after the question and we’ll take you just the right spot in the recording. Thanks for your feedback and for tuning in!

Why did you add new basic amenities requirements?

Our goal in requiring essential amenities was to meet guest expectations, as these are the items guest tell us they look for. But we’ve changed our approach and are now leaving it to hosts to choose whether or not to include essential amenities. For listings that don’t include essential amenities, we’re exploring ways to let guests know what to expect. Watch the full answer

Why did you change the cancellation policy, making it easier for guests to cancel at no cost?

We added a grace period to the Strict cancellation policy to encourage guests to book with confidence, and to make a way for them to resolve booking mistakes right after booking (as long as the trip is at least 14 days away and they cancel within 48 hours of booking). We have measures in place to make sure guests don’t misuse the grace period by booking more than one listing at a time or cancelling more than three times in a year penalty-free.

Your needs are top of mind as well. When you need to cancel due to an unforeseen situation, you’re covered under our Extenuating Circumstances policy to ensure that unexpected maintenance issues, sudden emergencies, and other covered instances do not impact your record or put an additional burden on you to bear the cost of cancellation penalties or guest rebooking. Watch the full answer

Can you request that guests have a profile picture? Can you share more info about guests upfront?

We’re committed to helping both hosts and guests feel comfortable hosting and traveling on Airbnb. And we understand that you may prefer guest profile photos so you can recognize and welcome guests when they arrive, but we’ve also heard stories of guests being denied acceptance based on their race or appearance. We’ve considered the solutions to the community’s needs carefully and are announcing new profile photo tools that we hope will address those needs equitably. Soon, hosts will be able to require guests to provide a photo before arrival. If you require profile photos, the small percentage of guests without them will not be able to request to book your listing until they upload one. If a host requires a photo, guests will be able to choose whether their photo is shown to the host before or after booking. We feel this is a fair way to address both host and guests preferences. Watch the full answer

You're constantly pushing me to lower my price, why? Who are you comparing me to?

Our tools help you set a competitive price and get more bookings when demand is low, which can mean suggestions to lower your price. But we’re launching improvements that better consider your market during periods of high demand. Soon we’re going to equip you with more data, not just pricing suggestions, to help you set your price.

As for comparisons, we look at successfully booked listings in your area with similar numbers of guests and amenities (listings you won’t see if you’re searching dates they’ve booked). We also look at what guests click before and after visiting your listing. Watch the full answer

What's the short-term rental legislation in my region? Where can I find info about it and ensure I'm compliant?

Understanding the legislation around short-term rentals is one of the first steps in becoming a host. Head over to airbnb.com/responsible-hosting for information about what rules apply to hosting in certain areas. It’s our plan to continue to provide all hosts with more detailed information about how local policies impact their ability to hosts, but in the meantime, we encourage hosts to learn the rules that apply to them before they welcome their first guests. Watch the full answer

Can you add an option to add extra fees for offering extra services?

We’re exploring ways for you to offer and manage these fees through the platform. The types of fees you’ve asked for fall into these categories: standard fees charged to every guest (like resort or linen fees, and local taxes) and optional fees charged for specific services guests could add (like breakfast or airport pickup). Stay tuned for updates! Watch the full answer

The review system can feel unfair sometimes. What are you planning to do to improve it?

We’re going to look into how one-off ratings affect your overall rating and impact your status in programs like Superhost. But it’s important for Airbnb to be a neutral platform for both guests and hosts, so we won’t remove reviews unless they violate our Content Policy. We want to give guests the chance to share their feedback— and for you to respond, too. You can always publicly respond to reviews.

Regarding reviews of your location, we understand that your location isn’t something you can change. But it is something that helps guests decide if it’s the right spot for them to book. Guests are asked to rate how convenient they think the location is, and that’s subjective, since preferences vary. This rating doesn’t say anything about the quality of your hosting or your listing and it does not affect your search ranking, overall experience rating, or eligibility for special programs like Superhost or Plus.

Correction: Previously we stated that guests who cancel before check-in, without seeing or visiting the space, shouldn't be able to leave a review, and that if hosts contacted us, we would remove reviews left by these guests. But it’s not always that simple. We only remove reviews which violate our content guidelines. We apologize for any confusion we may have caused in the Host Q&A. We take this seriously, and moving forward, we’re committed to being more clear.

When do you plan to expand Experiences to my city?

Since they began two years ago, Experiences on Airbnb have grown from 500 offerings in 12 cities to 12,000 Experiences in 180 cities, with more regions and countries soon to come. You can apply to host your own Experience at airbnb.com/host/experiences. Watch the full answer

Additional updates!

We couldn’t end the Host Q&A without sharing some exciting things we’ve been working on for you. We’re improving the reservation page so you can print, sort, and filter—and so the page is quicker to load. Your calendar will load faster now too, and we’ve made design changes so it’s larger, easier to identify blocked days, and so you can scroll to future months with ease. Finally, we’re working on photo services and tips to help your listing stand out in search like never before. Watch the full recording

We can’t wait to keep the conversation going here in the Community Center and in the next global Host Q&A.

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

133 Replies 133
Mariann4
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

well @Lizzie ...I don't plan on getting up at 3 a.m. to watch this 😄

I hope the hosts are heard...

Mariann 🙂

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I am disappointed to hear this @Mariann4 🙂 hehe

Never fear, the recording will be available after the event so you will be able to watch it over breakfast –so you won't miss out. 

It will be great to hear your thoughts.

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Warren-and-Rhonda--and-R0
Level 2
Bragg Creek, Canada

I have a question for today’s Q&A:

im a B&B owner in the true sense using 100% Airbnb.

Q1. I want to list my property once with different rooms at different prices and different calendar avsilabilities. I’ve been asking for this feature for 3 years please.

Q2. My guests sometimes want to book multiple rooms at the same time, sometimes with different dates. Eg guest is staying 5nights but want a second room for family for only two nights. This is real world B&B request. Can you please add this functionality.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Warren-and-Rhonda--and-R0 and @Juli31,

It is fantastic to see you want to submit a question for the Host Q&A. The submission for today's Q&A has closed now, however we will be hosting another Host Q&A in a few months time where it would be great if you could ask you question. 

I think there will be some great topic discussed today, so I am sure you will still find it useful.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Juli31
Level 1
United Kingdom

Hello Lizzie!

I really want to know what’s the support from Airbnb the host has,when guest destroyed completely the house,did party there in animsl

way,even the walls are scratched in horrible way!Also the guest had fake Card what’s your back up when you take photo is and card from people!

It looks like we are not that safe

thank you 

Juli 

Where is the link for streaming call today at 6? I click on Streaming and it takes me to the page to add the call on the calendar and play the last live Q&A.

Deb

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Deborah55,

Thanks for checking about this. It sounds like you have the correct link, but here is the link again just in case: Host Q&A.

We will be updating that page shortly, to show the event page, where it will be livestreamed. 🙂

I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Hi from PA

Luis589
Level 1
Miami, FL

Good evening!

Hope everyone is great!

Mine is a quick question:

Would Airbnb be able to requiere to everyone has a picture profile to book? As a host, I love to see my guest(s) face -at least one of them before the arrive.

Best Regards,

Luis Sevilla

Bernadette137
Level 2
Wilmington, NC

This system is unfortunate to say the least.

Jess78
Level 10
Eugene, OR

@Lizzie can you please post the link to the recording?

SleepOver-Brisbane0
Level 5
New Farm, Australia

Hi @Lizzie,

I was not able to attend this yesterday...

Was today's change with Co-Host payments discussed & if so, what is Airbnb's reasoning behind this change?

If not, is there any explanation from Airbnb, why the removal of advertising Co-Host services in the community (27 June) has been removed + now the no split payments.....

It appears that Airbnb do not want to support the Co-Host model any longer & myself amongst many, would like an explanation why & some sort of idea if this is to be removed entirely....

Thanks in advance,

Craig

Brendan-and-Natalie0
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

Hi Lizzie,

Your link did not work.

It takes me to this screen. https://imgur.com/a/tLeLy2w

I click the "login to community" button, it shows this screen. https://imgur.com/a/lUR2IeG

I click on the link "Your June 2018 Global Host Q&A (TODAY)".  It takes me to this page here. https://imgur.com/a/HXIQn8J

I click on the link "Our next Host Q&A is taking place TODAY, join us here! ", which takes me back to the first screen.

Can you please make sure this is fixed in time for the next Q&A, or just give us this url https://www.ustream.tv/hostQandA which actually works (unfortunately I missed the first 20 minutes).

Clearly I am logged in, because I can post this message.

Thnks,

Brendan

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Brendan-and-Natalie0@SleepOver-Brisbane0 and @Jess78,

Thanks for checking about the link. The recording of the Host Q&A will be available to view very soon and it will available to watch on the Host Q&A board, which can also be found on the Community Center header bar above: 

Host Q&A board on CC headerHost Q&A board on CC header

I will update you here, as soon the recording is available to watch. 🙂

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

--------------------

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Brendan & Natalie and @Craig,

I hope you are both well.

Just to highlight the Host Q&A recording is now available to watch. Here is the link

It would be great to hear your thoughts. 🙂

Lizzie

--------------------