How can we help as Hosts in cases of natural disasters?

Daniel1651
Host Advisory Board Member
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

How can we help as Hosts in cases of natural disasters?

Hello, my community. I'm greeting you from Tenerife, Canary Islands, where we are suffering from the effects of the recent forest fires that are devastating the Canary pine forest and the laurel forest surrounding the Teide National Park.

We have had no rain for months, and had to experience long periods of drought. Despite the typically good weather of these islands' usual climate, we are now experiencing the biggest environmental catastrophe in 40 years due to these wildfires. Our island is relatively small, so any event of this nature impacts everything and everyone.

I write this text with a deep sense of sadness. I feel the need to reflect and share aloud on what we, as hosts, can do in such cases of natural disasters that disrupt not only our daily lives but also those of the guests we warmly welcome.

I will share what we have done so far and, without being too exhaustive, moreover I would like to rely on the advice and recommendations of all of you. At the end of the day, everyone's experience and learnings make us more effective in the face of these events:

Importance of guests receiving first-hand information : As soon as I know what is going on, I find it best to take the initiative and let my guests know about the real situation and information, accompanied by official and trusted sources. This helps to ensure that the news does not take them by surprise and they know that we are looking out for them in sharing reliable news. Bear in mind that even if the situation does not directly affect the listing, we know that guests may be concerned (themselves or their families) about the information they read in the press.

Offering viable and safe alternatives to discover the area : I fully consider that guests have planned their holidays in advance and may need to change plans  depending on the areas affected. So, I prefer to think realistically of other activities and areas where they can be safe while maintaining their plan for rest and leisure. 

Providing information on compromised areas or closed routes : In case there are areas where traffic is closed or other issues are present, I find it extremely important to provide this information to my guests in advance. I make sure to remember that not everyone knows the area as well as I do, and that only I can help them with reliable advice for the situation. The most important thing during a guest’s stay in emergency situations is that they are safe and avoid the affected areas. In our case, here in Tenerife, there are more than 500 people working intensively day and night to quell this fire and avoid any personal damage. 

Offering trusted and official channels to find current information : Especially if there is any translation in the respective languages of my guests,I think it becomes convenient for me to point them to official sources for information. In our case, this information is offered on the different official websites and in different languages.

I try to ensure the safety of guests : If the area where my property is located is compromised, I ensure to be clear with the guests and provide them with assistance. Here’s what I do : Put myself in their shoes and find ways to not expose them to unnecessary risk.

If I am uncertain of what should be done by any chance, I contact the local authorities and listen carefully to their recommendations and steps to follow. Which are then passed to the guests in order to assist them in getting to safety if necessary.

Extenuating Circumstances : 
In the event of Extenuating Circumstances, Airbnb may activate the mitigating circumstances policy for both guests and potential travelers. This means that bookings may be canceled without penalty. You can read more about Airbnb’s policy here: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/1320 .

Keeping in touch with other local Hosts : As we are all part of a community, I prefer to also get in touch with other Hosts, through Local Clubs, for example, to work together and support each other. In these cases, as so often in life, there is strength in numbers! We can not only share experiences, but also help each other. 

Making myself available to the authorities and showing solidarity : It is important to note that, as we are a part of society, we should put our resources at the disposal of those who need them most. For example, here in Tenerife, several Hosts have offered their properties to the authorities in case they have to evacuate residents (or even guests who are in affected areas). In this case, the action is being coordinated through the Asociación Canaria del Alquiler Vacacional (ASCAV) and the authorities, with the participation of the Red Cross.

Please share your experiences on how you deal with such emergencies or if you have any other thoughts to add. I am sure, there is a lot to learn about such situations and that all opinions are valid to be heard, as we all may have varied perspectives.

Bhumika_0-1692970263142.jpeg Bhumika_1-1692970280165.jpeg

These two photos were captured by me. In the following link there are more, provided by Canary Radio/TV channel: https://rtvc.es/imagenes-incendio-tenerife/

[Although I am a Host Advisory Board member, these articles are written based on own my personal experiences and opinions as a Host]

27 Replies 27
Rachel1200
England, United Kingdom

I think you have thought deeply about your response to this natural disaster Daniel, and I am very impressed with your informative guide on how to react and how to protect your guests and community.  I think it is a perfect blueprint for people to follow, whatever the disaster is in their local area.

Daniel1651

Thank you @Rachel1200 , I believe that we learn from everything and it is important to react and be informed to face this type of situation. I'm sure there are many more tips for our community to share in response to similar events, so I'd love to hear what other actions we could take. 

Big hug from here to U.K.! 😍

Angel7435
Level 2
Coronado, CA

Hi Daniel,

There it’s no easy way to say what I feel as a human being watching the forest being destroyed around the world, and the pain for us as host and the local community that lives around you.

i would recommend you after this crisis go away that you and your neighbors must certify your city and your forest in NetZero, this means take care as a whole team (farmers, forest owners, companies, government) etc of the local resources to avoid this next years because as you may had heared the earth it’s increasing the temperature so if you protect all that your we have a good chances to continue making business ! **

**[Link removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

regards

Angel

Daniel1651

That's right @Angel7435 , it is really painful to see our nature on fire and we have a duty as citizens to do everything possible to learn from these situations and take measures to avoid them in the future.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will make sure to keep an eye and involve our environment to take action on it 💚

A warm hug from Tenerife.

Keshav7
New Delhi, India

You write so well Daniel! You are gifted! I wish I was this good even 1%! 
Such a great compilation - so proud of having you as fellow host advisor, thankyou for all you do man!

Passionate about life!
Daniel1651

Thank you @Keshav7  for your words. I am sure that much more can be contributed from different points of view, situations and experiences. That's why I wanted to share it out loud, to also receive advice from others who have gone through similar situations or believe that we can improve in some aspects. Please, do not hesitate to leave us your contribution from your experience. A big hug from Tenerife to New Delhi! 😍

Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piñas, Philippines

You’re good in making people laugh. We all have our special skill. That’s what makes the community beautiful 😘

Yes

Daniel1651

#SuperSkills #SuperHost #SuperKeshav!

Felicity11
Manly, Australia

Hi @Daniel1651 

I am so sorry to hear that you and your community are living through the effects of this seasons bush fire.

What a wonderful article you have written with some great tips for how hosts can ensure the safety and comfort of there guests and their community.   I think there are many points that hosts around the world can take away from this to ensure they can be prepared if there is a fire in there region. 

Having lived through a couple of Bush Fire seasons in Australia I know only to well the feeling of worry and concern and the impact the smoke can have on your day to day life.   

Unfortunately I do think this is a topic that many host communities around the world are going to have to deal with on an increasing basis.   As the world continues to experience rising temperatures and forests dry out we will only see more aggressive fires impact our communities.   We as hosts need to be prepared for how to look after guests in times like this and also understand how we can work with local authorities.  

With best wishes from Australia and not looking forward to our upcoming bush fire season that has already started! 

Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piñas, Philippines

Your push on sustainable hosting is very crucial in addressing these matters.🙏🏽

Daniel1651

That's completely right, @Felicity11 . Unfortunately, we have to prepared to deal with these situations in the future and it is important to understand how we can prevent it, working together with the authorities.

As @Bea2137 mentions, your activity in the Sustainable campaign is crucial addressing this matter.

As part of the society we have to assume a leading role in the defense of our nature 💚

Francisco-and-Yajaira-Ho0
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

Hi Daniel!  I'm truly sad that your community is also going through such a difficult situation.  Maintaining a positive attitude when things get tough could be challenging, but I'm confident that you will soon overcome these obstacles with the unity and determination you're showing. I wish your community a quick recovery.

Thank you for taking the time to put together all this information for us. You've really thought of everything and everyone. The things you mentioned not only seem well-articulated to me, but I find them to be a practical solution for communities in similar situations. In fact, I'm already putting some of these points into practice, but it's definitely a guide to keep handy. That's why I'm going to share the link with the members of my community because I'm sure it will be really helpful for them, too. Thanks again!

Please receive a big hug and my best wishes for everyone. 🤗💚🍃

Yajaira

Daniel1651

Thanks @Francisco-and-Yajaira-Ho0 , it is really helpful to know that all of us can contribute when this kind of situations happen.

Would be really interesting to hear more feedback and point of views about it and collaborate creating a guide to follow.

Do not hesitate to share your and your community thoughts here!

Kisses back to Punta Cana and Dominican Republic!