6 night minimum ordinance

Answered!
Jill1325
Level 2
Lake Geneva, WI

6 night minimum ordinance

Our tourists town now has a 6 night minimum for STR. We are just outside of a large city (chicago) and guests are more likely to come up for the weekend rather than a longer stay. I don't think I could survive if I have to adhere to this. Also their are many homes on Airbnb that are not adhering

to this rule and what gives here?

1 Best Answer

@Jill1325  typically on airbnb anything over 28 nights but less than a year is what we call a Mid Term. But in most places, it has to be 30+ days to be not considered a short-term rental in the eyes of the law. Not exactly sure about the laws in Lake Geneva, but for mid-term rentals the laws are the same as if you had a long-term tenant. But pivoting to longer stays opens up your place for more business professionals like engineers, nurses, construction workers etc...

You can always start by changing the min date required on Airbnb so those folks can find you. But you will also need to get your property listed on more corporate housing sites and engage with agents in this space so they know your property is good for their clients. Would love to talk more off platform if you would like to know more and ask any questions.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Slawek1
Level 2
River Grove, IL

Hi Jill, not sure on the town you may you have your home in. But have you ever considered doing more of Mid Term rentals if STR may just not work in your town anymore?

Morning @Slawek1 , thanks for responding! No, how many nights is a mid term rental? I am in Williams Bay/Lake Geneva area and definitely a tourist area with many visiting from the Chicago area for the weekend.  

@Jill1325  typically on airbnb anything over 28 nights but less than a year is what we call a Mid Term. But in most places, it has to be 30+ days to be not considered a short-term rental in the eyes of the law. Not exactly sure about the laws in Lake Geneva, but for mid-term rentals the laws are the same as if you had a long-term tenant. But pivoting to longer stays opens up your place for more business professionals like engineers, nurses, construction workers etc...

You can always start by changing the min date required on Airbnb so those folks can find you. But you will also need to get your property listed on more corporate housing sites and engage with agents in this space so they know your property is good for their clients. Would love to talk more off platform if you would like to know more and ask any questions.