90 day short term rule Scotland

Answered!
Frank1729
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

90 day short term rule Scotland

Hi there, I want to let out my flat to one person for around 3 months per year and am trying for 3 days now to find out what the 90 day rule for short lets in Scotland means. I am in Glasgow. Does it mean that if I let to one party for more than 90 days this is not a short let? If so, what kind of contract would it be? And, if I find somebody through Airbnb, would this automatically regarded as a short let even if it is the same tenant for the entire period? In other words: would I need a STL licence and perhaps planning permission or would this be rather something like a common law tenancy? The information online regarding the 90 day rule is totally unclear in my opinion. Any help on this?

1 Best Answer
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Frank1729 and Welcome to our Community Center 🎉

I did some research and came across an article that has a specific section for Glasgow regulations. You can check it out here. Another idea is to reach out to a Local Club Host in your area to connect with fellow hosts. You can find them here.

I hope you find these resources helpful.

Paula

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would suggest if it's a Glasgow specific rule you contact the council and ask them @Frank1729 

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Frank1729 and Welcome to our Community Center 🎉

I did some research and came across an article that has a specific section for Glasgow regulations. You can check it out here. Another idea is to reach out to a Local Club Host in your area to connect with fellow hosts. You can find them here.

I hope you find these resources helpful.

Paula

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Frank1729
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Thanks Paula and also Helen, the thing is I have read everything that has been published by Glasgow Council on this topic. Every word. However, I am at a loss when it comes to the definition of a short let being “accommodation that is occupied for less than 90 days”. 90 days at a time, per single booking? Or 90 days in total? Does it mean that if I let my flat to one tenant for 91 days, it is not a short let? What else would it be? A short let seems to be hosting a guest. However, what about a person wanting to stay for 3 months due to a work placement?  This person would normally have another main home, but nevertheless would not be a guest in the sense of a holiday let. It is impossible to speak to anybody at Glasgow Council. Phone advice has been suspended apparently due to Covid. They ask people to apply either for planning permission or a certificate of lawfulness confirming that the intended use does not constitute a material change of use. This costs either £600 or £300. Before I am paying so much money I would like to establish if the kind of letting I am planning (letting my main and only home during my annual absence for a period of up to 3  months to maximum two tenants in one single rental agreement) legally is a short let at all. In my opinion it is not. But hey, I will keep looking for information. I did check if anybody in Glasgow’s Westend which is full of Airbnb properties so far has applied for planning and looked through the 20 main streets: I found one application! Am I missing something here or does this mean: Nobody bothers applying?

Veronique243
Level 3
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

The issue of planning is still not fully resolved as there is some debate over whether the requirement can be applied retrospectively.   I think people are just waiting for more clarity before  they spend the money.