AirBnB gave 99% discount to a guest for 28-day stay

AirBnB gave 99% discount to a guest for 28-day stay

One early morning when I opened my AirBnB messages, I was greeted with an instant booking made by a guest for 28-day stay but was very surprised that I will almost get nothing for the month-long stay. Upon looking at the bill, AirBnB gave the guest a 99% discount!

I felt scammed and contacted both the guest and AirBnB about it, but both were unresponsive, which is a more surprise to me.

AirBnB replied first but gave different answers targetting the monthly rate i had set up on the listing, but clearly it was not the case since the monthly price used by AirBnB in the bill was correct.

Now, everytime another AirBnB person give their reply, he doesn't refer to the discussion thread and sadly, i still haven't got a convincing response from AirBnB, as to why i will almost get no payout. 

I felt relief from the frustration of being scammed when the guest finally agreed that he, though he insisted it should be me, who will cancel the booking. eventually the guest agreed to cancel but AirBnB did not gave him refund despite the booking is still 2weeks away.

Hoping you guys will not experience this, and now i still feel somewhat frustrated by the evasive and slow response from AirBnB. AirBnB also want to close the topic, which I still did not accept.

Thank you all for taking time to read my hosting experience.

9 Replies 9
Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

@Joel1109  Thank you for sharing this experience with the ABB platform.  Clearly the AI that is controlling our business with the ABB platform is very flawed and a hazard risk for anyone placing their properties on this platform- until such time as ABB removes this programing and restores everything to normal.

Susan

Thanks Susan,

If AirBnB only admitted this flaw and make amends, it would then be a little comforting for the hosts.

Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

@Joel1109  Thank you for sharing with us all the falacy of turning over your property and your rights in the transaction to a robot (AI). Ask your self why did you do this. You are the property owner.  You respect yourself.  Why did you do this to yourself?

Susan
Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

Understand that the fact that the reservation is for 28 days makes it and keeps it as a STR, i.e. hotel category reservation.  All hotels reserve by law the right to revict and remove anyone from any place by calling the police.  I must assume you have the legal license to conduct your business at this location with your governing municipality. 

Susan
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Joel1109,

I'm so sorry to hear about this - I've passed your information over to Support and explained that you don't feel the issue is resolved - so I'm hoping this will encourage them to get in touch with you soon.

If I hear anything back from them I'll let you know.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thanks a lot @Jenny for your kind response and care over this issue.

Speaking of support, 3 persons have already replied but all of them gave irrelevant replies, and the latest was by Mr. Owais of your support team who tried to drive me crazy by keeping on asking for the screenshot of AirBnB bill despite I already sent it (both from guest & host) at least thrice in the thread of our conversation. It seems he want to piss me off to call off the issue, and now in spite of few follow-up messages to him, he remained silent these past few days, hoping that eventually i will give up. I believe that is not the impression AirBnB support would want to leave to me or anybody for that matter.

Please kindly  also make follow-up with him, and your help is much appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Yet one more reason not to use Instant Book

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

How does this happen? I don't offer discounts for longer stays; does this mean Airbnb can apply a discount to your booking without your permission?

WOW @Maia29 You are perhaps right..... We will have to delete those discounts.