Airbnb closes my case without replying

Alexandra1937
Level 2
Münster, Germany

Airbnb closes my case without replying

Since October I am trying to get my money back for 7 nights from 13 due to several problems in the apartment in Antwerp. However, I receive messages from various Airbnb experts each week and the they simply close the case without any answer. In the middle of the conversation. Over and out. How can I get real support? I even called and was promised to be helped, nothing happened. Still waiting for 840€ refund 

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Alexandra1937 If you stayed for the full 13 nights why do you believe you should be refunded for 7 of them?

Sorry this was unclear: In October we booked an apartment in Antwerp for 13 nights. There were problems as soon as we arrived: the hostess wasn't there because of our traffic-related delay and then instructed us to act as if we were friends and not Airbnb guests. Since the door was stuck, my children tried the key in the next door, whereupon the door was banged on from the inside and shortly afterwards a property manager appeared who let my children know that he didn't believe them, that this wasn't an Airbnb rental and he I will call the landlord and also the owner. Our host blamed us for this and demanded that I meet her the next day to clarify whether I was a responsible person. That was unpleasant and had little to do with a carefree holiday. There were still empty glass bottles and washed dishes in the apartment. The shower had no shower head and the supposedly comfortable sofa bed was two mattresses on the floor. So it wasn't ideal, but the noise was worst until 3:30 at night. The apartment was directly above Antwerp's Paetystrasse and since the glass roof was only single-glazed, you could only try to sleep with earplugs. When there was a strong smell of drains, I had enough and stopped the trip. We were there for 6 nights, informed both Airbnb and the host 24 hours before departure and thought we would get 7 nights refunded. The representative on the phone confirmed that the problems do not have to be accepted and that we can move out. He expressly advised me not to cancel myself because then I would only get a 50% refund. The hostess was also very understanding. She admitted that it was very difficult to sleep in the living area, especially given the long rental period (she also gave us earplugs) and also admitted that she hadn't managed to get rid of the smell. Next, I received an offer of €300 reimbursement from the landlord instead of €834, since she wasn't on site and couldn't re-rent. I declined because her friend number is not my problem. I had sent Airbnb videos about the volume. The case was dismissed because the video was not recognized. Weeks later, to this day, I still receive different employees, each of whom gives a different reason why I don't receive a refund. Lastly because I didn't cancel. Despite all the written evidence, nothing happens. The review was removed as a revenge review even though I described our experience objectively. The hostess suddenly feels in the right. She claims that Airbnb told her not pay anything and that I would be removed if I caused another problem. Airbnb doesn’t help or support me. Each week I receive a different answer claiming what I did wrong (not cancelling) or that noise was no reason. What can I do?

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Alexandra1937 

If you weren't able to stay in the listing because of noise  was exceptionally loud in the apartment, and the listing not as described, then Airbnb could have cancelled the booking and ensured the host refunded you for any days you didn't stay. The host can also voluntarily refunded you.

(I am presuming you sent Airbnb evidence of the sofabed not being available, the broken shower etc)

What were previous reviews like at the listing in terms of smells/noise/the sofabed  not being available /broken shower?

I would imagine if you chose to book a listing directly above Antwerp's Paetystrasse you would know that the listing is likely to be noisy.

In terms of your review it sounds like your review may have broken Airbnb's T&C for leaving a review for example did you mention anything to do with not receiving a refund?

Thank you! I didn’t know that this was party street. And Airbnb told me I wouldn’t have to deal with that and after my departure they just told me it was in my Hosts hand to refund and she didn’t want to. And yes, I did mention that I was not refunded and know nobody knows what to really expect in that appartment. There are just a few reviews and just slight hints that there’s not really space for guests, not always cleared dishes and not for light sleepers. Understatement. I really wonder why Airbnb fully finds themselves not responsible 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry it's not clear what question do you have for this host and guest community @Alexandra1937 

you haven't outlined what happened/why you feel you are entitled to a refund for seven out of 13 nights and whether you had a commitment from the host to offer this refund? 

Sorry, this wasn’t clear: I replied to the other person who asked. There is the full story. For some reason I can’t send it to you

Breanna
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Pontefract, United Kingdom

Hi @Alexandra1937 Just a note about this, your duplicate comments were removed since they were a copy of the one above but both @Helen3 and @Mike-And-Jane0 can see your explanation!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines