Aribnb cancels and refunds scammer without notifying host

Maggie572
Level 2
Denver, CO

Aribnb cancels and refunds scammer without notifying host

We recently has a guest (reservation for 10 people, 3 dogs) and the guest checked in early. Instead of notifying us the host of her cleaning concerns- she contacted airbnb support. When airbnb support contacted me, we notified them that we live next door and would be happy to meet our cleaners there and the property would be ready by the scheduled check in time. We took video of her complaints that we found to be non existent. There is a small blemish on out bathtub the size of a grain of rice that she insisted was urine.  When I asked airbnb support for a clear description of what the guests issues were, the support ambassador swore at me and used unprofessional language. The guest began requesting money outside of airbnb proceedure and i directed her back to airbnb and told her communication and money requests have to go through airbnb. I contacted support again the following day noticing that the reservation was canceled without any communication to me as to why or without asking our side of the story and worst of all, airbnb withheld payout without enforcing our moderate cancelation policy.  So this guest (who was only 1 single person at check in) got fully refunded with another stay covered by airbnb. When I reached out to support again, so I could provide my side of the story, I was told that someone else made the decision and they wish me the best. Airbnb never asked for our documentation or for the communication from the guest requesting money outside of airbnb. This guest is a hazard, and I feel incredibly unsupported by airbnb as a host. If I was on day 4 of not responding to a guest, I would be considered a neglectful host, yest support can make changes to reservations and payouts without even communicating to hosts why. I have been an airbnb host for 6 years and am currently a superhost. We have over 500 reviews with a 4.8 rating. I am discouraged that airbnb support is able to curse and swear at hosts in their communication, and then hosts are paralyzed to get any supervisors or higher support when all the proof is in the email communication.  I don't want to partner with a entity that does not value superhosts, communicate in a professional and timely manner, and who sides with a very clear and popular scam (as I've noticed is rampant on this community platform). Does anyone know how or where to take concerns regarding support agents and unprofessional behavior? I am moments away from cancelling all bookings and disconnecting my 2 properties and 4 experiences on airbnb due to this issue and would like to hear first if others have had the same issue with support, and ideas of what I can do to get my side of the situation considered?

11 Replies 11
Dora486
Level 10
Frigiliana, Spain

Move this to the host circle part of this forum, I know Airbnb ambassadors are active on there.  I hope this helps.  

Thanks for the tip... I'll try and figure out how to do that.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Maggie572 

Did the Airbnb 'ambassador' swear at you over the phone, or was this part of the message thread? Either way, it's not acceptable. 

Is there a complaints department at Airbnb? I have never seen a link for one, but perhaps someone else knows...

Although it's not my personal experience, some hosts have said that posting on Airbnb's social media, e.g. Twitter and Facebook can yield results. If you go this route, mention in your post that the Airbnb rep swore at you. That should get their attention!

@Huma0   The CC actually stands for Complaint Central! But yes, the real complaints department is Twitter.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Anonymous 

Lol. That is very true.

I don't know if it's different with US companies, but I find it very strange that there doesn't seem to be an official complaints department/procedure at Airbnb. Any legitimate, reasonably sized company here has one.

Often, that is the only department that can get problems resolved so I am no stranger to dealing with them. I have many examples of getting nowhere with customer service (my former internet provider, my home insurance company, my local council, etc etc.) but getting a solution very quickly, and sometimes compensation, as soon as I contacted the complaints division. That's because they normally have very strict procedures in place in terms of how they deal with cases, e.g. they have to send you info about the ombudsman and let you know you have that option if they cannot satisfactorily resolve your issue. Or, failing that, we're talking legal action.

It amazes me that Airbnb appears to not have a complaints department or, if they do, keep it so well hidden that no one knows if it exists or not.

I haven't found any complaints department either. I requested the ambassador to speak to her supervisor and we are on day 2 of waiting for a response. 

They did it through the message thread so it's all documented through our messaging. Thanks, I'll give social media a shot.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Maggie572 

Well, then I think you can really make a big fuss with this one. I would. 

I've experienced a lot of ineptitude from CS reps, and they are frequently patronising, but I've never had one be blatantly rude and swear at me.

@Maggie572   A screenshot of the agent using profanity in a message is definitely something Airbnb will want to bury fast. That might be your golden ticket.

Tammy45
Level 2
Nashville, TN

I’ve been doing this for many years and when somebody checked in and had many more people than I could legally allow I asked them to leave as my rules state that there are no refunds if a guest breaks this rule!

Well, they contacted Airbnb support and they were refunded! And I lost a huge five day sale for an annual event just because they broke the law they broke the rules and Airbnb refunded them and would not support me,  a super host in Nashville one of the hottest markets. That was stupid of them! We have formed our own Facebook page now to complain about them. 
Sadly I enjoy shorting their stock to get my money back!

We have a big house and can host up to 10. So she was within what's allowed. We tweeted this article and got a faster response through Twitter than through support. Still just saying that someone someday will be in touch.  It's been a full week and I'm still waiting for a supervisor to call me and hear out my side of the story, get my screen shots and videos on the property. I have paused working with airbnb until this is sorted out or at least until I can get some professional communication.  I wonder how airbnb would respond if I took more than a week to get back to guests and their concerns. I'm so disappointed at how they treat hosts.