Bookings have stopped, due to Covid??

Answered!
Joe552
Level 2
Wilmington, NC

Bookings have stopped, due to Covid??

our bookings stopped after last weekend. \Nothing for 2 weeks.

Must be Covid, right?

Is the same happening to everyone in the US?

2 Best Answers
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Joe552 In England we are shut down at present as we are in Tier 3 (and have been since Nov 2nd). Even if we move to Tier 2 today then as 40-50% of the country is in Tier 3 (who are not allowed to travel) I don't see our bookings picking up anytime soon.

Realistically we will be lucky if, as a result of vaccines, we can get going properly again by Easter. 

View Best Answer in original post

Yes, I can see the appeal of your properties. It's still possible to isolate and get away from home.

Our properties are basically the opposite of yours. We have loft apartments in Historic Downtown Wilmington, NC.

We've had many bookings in December the last few years. So has to be Covid.

Best wishes to you all. Be safe, well and hopeful!

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Sue714
Level 5
Angaston, Australia

In Australia- our last booking we received in October for December - which was cancelled as it was during a Lockdown. Only had one other which is not until next April.
Book com - only had one booking.
Our local Council run a booking site for Tourism in our area, if it wasn’t for them we wouldn’t have had any guests. Glad we don’t rely on one service.

So yes we blame COVID

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Joe552,

I have an apartment rental in Atlanta Metro, and have remained consistently booked, except during mid-March to the end of June, when we closed due to the pandemic and took the opportunity to make some significant renovations.  In August, we decided to target longer term stays, and offer a monthly discount to attract guests in that market.  

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Joe552  Every property and market is different.  Mine are vacation properties in the woods and have been more booked than usual.  I finally blocked the calendar of one because the house just needs a rest.  But the increased bookings are definitely due to Covid - people need to get away for a break.

The slowdown could also be the lead-up to the Christmas holidays.  Once those are out of the way people will start making bookings again, bearing in mind lockdowns and case numbers where they want to go.

Yes, I can see the appeal of your properties. It's still possible to isolate and get away from home.

Our properties are basically the opposite of yours. We have loft apartments in Historic Downtown Wilmington, NC.

We've had many bookings in December the last few years. So has to be Covid.

Best wishes to you all. Be safe, well and hopeful!

Agreed.  Each location will bring it's own level of isolation.  Our location is a stand alone cottage on 16 acres and we have continued to book quite well ( except for March and April at the beginning of the pandemic)  

There has been a good booking rate since.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Joe552 In England we are shut down at present as we are in Tier 3 (and have been since Nov 2nd). Even if we move to Tier 2 today then as 40-50% of the country is in Tier 3 (who are not allowed to travel) I don't see our bookings picking up anytime soon.

Realistically we will be lucky if, as a result of vaccines, we can get going properly again by Easter. 

Susan1404
Level 10
Covington, GA

@Joe552- I think those who are home sharing or live in closed in communities may be experiencing more of a slow down.  My airbnb is a cabin that sits across a large field from my house and it is secluded and private.  I would have been totally booked this month, but lost out on the last week of booking due to the guest worrying she might have contracted Covid.  She was being tested this week, and if she is negative, they may rebook for the last week of the month.  I've actually been pleasantly surprised to see how many people are still traveling.  I should add that my bookings are now across 3 different platforms which has helped a lot.  Vrbo has really filled in the gaps lately.