Cleaning fees vs Service fees vs Pricing

Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

Cleaning fees vs Service fees vs Pricing

The conversations about cleaning fees and ABB fees and Pricing displays deserves a good look at the way ABB explains these charges to the Guest consumer.

Place cursor on Cleaning fee and read " This is the fee the Host charges to clean their property" Now read the cursor message for Service fee and read " this helps support this platform which provides 24/7 customer service" or something similar. Notice the subtle distortion? My solution is to think like a Hotel and calculate the actual cleaning costs to run your Listing annually and divide by 365 days and you have your daily rate to stuff  in the nightly  price.   Then I add to the value of my places by stating in the marketing remarks-- No cleaning fees, security deposits, or additional charges. Flat rate pricing. Plus, for my area the high demand  for monthly stays rules the top of my market so I have set 31 day minimum reservation--what this does to the hotel/tourist/lodging taxes is it VOIDS them... not legally collectable on monthly reservations.  End result-- the only Fees added onto the price are the ABB fees. P.S.  I skip out on all the weekly, monthly discount section totally none of it for me.  This formula has worked very well.  Clean simple math. No confusion. Occupancy rate at 93% today.

Susan
16 Replies 16
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

We used to charge a "cleaning fee". But we found the place was often (most of the time) left in a rather dismal condition. They don't feel any obligation to clean or tidy up. They paid for that convenience. And there's little you can say about it. 

We're now getting better results by simply building it into the price and engaging with guests on a personal level at check in.

In this way, it tends to attract a more responsible guest demographic due to the elevated price, but with positive personal contact, they tend to see you more as "someone they know", not some faceless "owner". and tend to respect the fact that the cleaning burden is on the host, and they'd feel guilty about if they left it messy. Some still do leave it a bit messy, but I can see they've made an effort. It would probably be much worse with a "cleaning charge".

However, this doesn't work with certain guest profiles. For example, larger groups of 20-somethings tend not to care. So, we impose a security deposit on that type of guest, and it works really well. But there's no need to impose this burden on nice families that just want to enjoy a relaxing holiday.

Now, if you're a total "hands off" host that never has any face-face contact with guests, none of this would probably work for you. At least it would be a bit dangerous, so in that case, I'd suggest a reasonable cleaning fee, or requiring a hefty security deposit. Security deposit is always a bit more effective because they can get it back. It's a carrot. They don't get a "cleaning fee" back, so no need to be conscientious. Just leave it in whatever state it was in when they woke up on checkout day. They paid for it. 

Just my tuppence. Hope it helps. 

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

I think host reviews of guests who leave outrageous messes discourage them doing it in the future; especially if no host wants to accept them.

I only want short term stays as there is less  wear and tear to the home. I charge a cleaning fee