Connecting Local Businesses to AirBnB Hosts

Nick2000
Level 2
Memphis, TN

Connecting Local Businesses to AirBnB Hosts

Hi,

I've been working on a business idea that connects local businesses to AirBnBs. Basically, it takes the informal relationship that exists between hosts and the community and makes it formal. What does that mean? It means that AirBnB hosts are now purposefully advertising locations that I have created a business relationship with. We put some advertising in the AirBnB for local stores/restauarants. Hosts get compensated. Further, these locations are able to run special deals. If the guests use the promo codes, the hosts get a kickback. 

I wanted to get feedback from other hosts on this idea because I'm experiencing some challenges. One challenge I've been running into is getting in contact with hosts. I can't use AirBnB to message them. I have thought of some ideas, like dropping flyers off at the AirBnBs etc. Would this get your attention as a host?

I started working on this idea for two reasons:

1. AirBnB hosts were already recommending their favorite places. Why not improve the process and pay them for it?

2. I wanted a better way to bring business to the local stores in my city. I am not a huge fan of corporations like Starbucks. In my opinion, there are several higher quality coffee shops in town. However, how would a guest find them without proper advertising? Also, I think local stores/restaurants demonstrate the real culture of a place. 

Any creative ideas on how I can take this further? Would you want to try this in your city?

32 Replies 32

@Nick2000  You're quite right that many successful businesses were told when they were trying to get off the ground that it was a non-starter. I believe Zuckerberg was told that his Facebook idea wouldn't fly?

A long time ago, when I lived in Canada, long before Starbucks and fancy coffee houses were a thing, but starting to appear, 3 friends and I wanted to start what would have been the first place in my town offering that. All there was at that point, was regular brewed coffee in cafes and restaurants. We even had the perfect location picked out, a place that was right along the river, with a back deck. As we didn't have the money ourselves to get it off the ground, and would need start-up costs financed to cover the first few months rent, renos to the space, and equipment, we made an appointment with the local business development bank, which gave loans for start-up businesses. 

It was our bad luck that the man we had to talk to was clueless and visionless, his own previous business experience was operating a hardware store and a family restaurant, and he couldn't understand why anyone would pay $3 for a cup of coffee when they could get one for 75 cents. 

So we never did open that business and within a couple years there were half a dozen places in town offering lattes and espressos and nice baked goods. We knew we had a solid business idea in the first place.

I don't know if you are married to the idea of this particular software application, but maybe what you should do is ask hosts here what they feel isn't currently addressed as far as their hosting is concerned and base software development ideas on that, rather than pre-thinking something would be useful that isn't to most hosts.

@Sarah977 thank you for your thorough response. 

You're totally right. I have been digging on ideas from my days as a host, but they don't seem to be resonating well. 

Let's start fresh...

What problems have you been experiencing as a host?

What do you wish could be done better?

Hey Nick, did you ever end up launching this? 

For reference, here is the website I've created for the idea.

link that is shared with guests:**

link that is shared with hosts: **

**[Advertisement removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Nick2000  I have an idea to get you started but not sure where you would take it from here.

Choose any Airbnb listing in a town.  For instance, here's one near my Airbnb:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/41316069?adults=2&check_in=2020-11-06&check_out=2020-11-09&source_impre...

Scroll down to the map.  Below the map you'll see "Top Places Nearby."  You can click on a corresponding icon on the map and you'll see this:

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 10.07.16 AM.png

Note that it says "12 locals recommend."  Those recommendations are all local hostsThose hosts have all put this place in their guidebook.  Now click through the place and a new tab will open with all the hosts and their recommendations below the place description (https://www.airbnb.com/things-to-do/places/1608993).  This "things-to-do" link is unique to the local place.

From here it's up to you.  Do you go to the local place with their unique "things-to-do" link and work out a coupon code offer to anyone who clicks that link?  Show the local place the list of hosts who have recommended the place? 

Without some sort of partnership with Airbnb I'm not sure how your product can get involved here.  But I wanted you to know how host's guidebooks work and have already been worked into this sort of interplay, where host, local place, and guest intersect, by Airbnb.

@Ann72 What if you could make a better/custom digital guidebook for your guests?

What features would you want?

How could the guidebook be done better?

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Nick2000 

My thoughts- and yes, I have thought of this idea and am in no way saying don't do it, just saying be practical as well as ambitious

1. Is this a guide book creation site which could be integrated onto airbnb/stand alone or a booking site like Tripadvisor? 

2. What's its USP?

3. Loyalty / Discounts

For this to work would you not need to be in contact with the various small businesses, otherwise would it not be easier for myself (as a host) to establish such agreement and leave you out of such agreements?

3. If its a booking site in particular- to begin you would need to start regionally and expand from there, have you thought of the logistics and the investment required as to create such a program?

4. How do you plan to make money from this? 

A. Guidebook

Add on features, Sharing/accessibility between time of booking and end of stay

B. Who pays the host's/site's commission- the independent company, the guest? Is it subscription per guest? Is percentage of bill per confirmed reservation? What's everyone's cut?

5. What type of safeguards will you put into place as to protect hosts and guests from being scammed because there are plenty of "businesses" created online but are either run terribly or not at all

Personally as a guest what I would like is for a route/day plan creater to be made- based on hosts bookmarked places (sightseeing, food, entertainment) and any others which have been pre-approved by myself- I can timeframe available, activity desired, cuisine (preferred) and potential day plan can be created, amended  and downloaded (if transport information, include hints of how local transport works etc, this would be amazing). Would save the hassel of planning but allows for me to confirm my day and also budget. 

Anyway- I really do wish you luck in your business venture and if you can dream it and work for it, you can get it! 🙂

@Yadira22 On 3, 

from the hosts I've talked to it's not worth their time. Also, it's not worth the restaurants time to work with an individual AirBnB. My value is that I will have 100s, potentially 1000s of BnBs that you can instantly be inside of. 

Another thing I am learning is that hosts in my city do not care about being compensated. They care more about being able to support local businesses and improve the experience of their guests. If I offer this service for free to them, they are more than happy to include it in their AirBnB.

David10346
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Nick.  I have a possibility for this.  Any way we can connect via email so I can send you details?

Ivanna31
Level 1
San Jose, CA

Hi Nick, I am working on a similar idea and wanted to ask if you went on to develop this company or if it evolved into something new?

Hey Ivanna! Currently working on a startup that does exactly what you are talking about in Charlotte, NC and Asheville, NC. **

We built a database of the top successful Airbnb in the area and asked them if they would be interested in getting paid in exchange for local businesses advertising inside their property.

Most Airbnbs hosts/owners are happy to help local businesses thrive in their area

Once we have a database of good quality/busy Airbnbs, we reach out to local businesses that are nearby and ask them if they are interested. We work out a deal ranging between $20-50 per month per Ad per Airbnb. One Airbnb can have mulitple Ads (counter, fridge, living room etc.)

Airbnb owners can accept/decline any offers they receive from any business.

Additionally, we recommend that businesses give out a discount to the Airbnb guests so that the Ad feel personalized.

**[Link removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

I am currently brainstorming how to do this in the small ski and resort town where I have 4 airbnb units. Big companies like Minoan incentivize hosts to link to product and companies, but I don't know how to go about spreading this idea to local businesses that I would much rather promote. Of course I am happy to and do use their products, but am struggling with how to link the guests and incentivize them and other hosts to do the same. The big companies have the processed streamlined with codes, but is there an app to do this on the local level?

'

It's nice to see people engaged in get small businesses stronger!

That's nice! Your idea has great potential to benefit Airbnb hosts and local businesses. Explore various ways to connect with hosts, like dropping off flyers or using social media (Facebook groups, forums like this, paid ads on Instagram, YouTube etc). Clearly communicate hots' benefits, such as earning extra cash and enhancing guest experiences. Expand your network of local businesses and offer incentives for early sign-ups. Get guests excited about exclusive deals with promo codes and consider hosting community events to foster connections. Overall, your idea aligns with supporting local businesses and offering authentic experiences. With strategic planning and effective communication, you can make a positive impact in STR business. Best of luck!

Hey Nick! Currently working on a startup that does exactly what you are talking about in Charlotte, NC and Asheville, NC. **

We built a database of the top successful Airbnb in the area and asked them if they would be interested in getting paid in exchange for local businesses advertising inside their property.

Most Airbnbs hosts/owners are happy to help local businesses thrive in their area

Once we have a database of good quality/busy Airbnbs, we reach out to local businesses that are nearby and ask them if they are interested. We work out a deal ranging between $20-50 per month per Ad per Airbnb. One Airbnb can have mulitple Ads (counter, fridge, living room etc.)

Airbnb owners can accept/decline any offers they receive from any business.

Additionally, we recommend that businesses give out a discount to the Airbnb guests so that the Ad feel personalized.

**[Link removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]