Critique my listing - David Manchester UK

David8364
Level 2
Manchester, United Kingdom

Critique my listing - David Manchester UK

Hi everyone,

im totally new to AirBnB and I’ve just created my first listing today. I honestly not sure if I’ve done it correct so I would much appreciate any feedback which you think may help me.

personally I think my picture could be a little better.

also I set my price at £149 per night but when I searched for it it was showing £175 per night? Not sure why this is happening?

anyway any help much appreciated and if I’ve missed anything please let me know.

thanks in advance

David

https://www.airbnb.com/h/beetham

BD01CF15-CE79-4C4B-9FCC-8A916B16C05C.jpeg

10 Replies 10
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@David8364 Welcome to the community. Yes, your photos could be taken with better lighting. You might remove the clutter from the tables in the bedrooms when you retake photos. Your lead photo is a good choice. And those views, wow!

You appear not to have any house rules. Re your price, are you factoring any taxes and SF when you look at your listing as a guest?

My top tips for you as a new host is spend some time in the Airbnb help pages (and here too) reading up on hosting basics if you haven’t done so yet. Save yourself from making costly and painful mistakes. Read all the terms. Don’t use instant book until you’re experienced. Long term bookings are not advisable as a new host either, and in fact Airbnb is not a great platform for long stays, period. Vet your  potential guests carefully.

David8364
Level 2

Thanks Colleen! 👍

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

q@David8364  Cool building. 

I'd say your listing looks incomplete. The description is scanty. You could market it better and it's a good idea to think about your target demographic and write the description to appeal to those guests and draw them in.

You also need a few more and better photos. One of the bedrooms looks quite barren, like you just stuck a bed and table in an empty room. Beds for 2 people need bedside tables on both sides and reading lamps. The tiny lamps you have there in the one bedroom are useless- they are lower than the bed and won't provide any light for reading. And those tables appear to be covered with stuff. They should be empty except for the lamps. Guests need space to put their book, phone, eyeglasses, etc.

I would second Colleen's advice to get rid of clutter when you take photos. I would either get some sort of tiered shelving for all those things on the kitchen counter, or put a lot of it away in the cupboards. There is literally zero space on that counter for anything. How are people supposed to use the sink if there's nowhere to even put a dirty plate down next to it? And where's the stove and fridge? They aren't pictured.

That TV sitting right at the foot of the bed is an odd and terrible idea. First of all, it will get broken there. Secondly, I can't imagine anyone wanting a TV at the foot of the bed, but then I'm not aTV watcher. I would want it moved elsewhere if I rented your place.

The views look awesome, but the place looks like it could use a bit of attention from someone with a good sense of decor. It sort of says "bachelor pad" to me.

Great potential , just could do with a little tweaking.

@David8364  I second all of the great suggestions from @Colleen253 .

That awesome view is definitely a major selling point, and more images that capture it sharply from the interior perspective would accentuate that. But if Luxury is your angle, you'll want to take out anything that throws off bachelor-pad vibes, like the various bottles sitting on top of surfaces. I suggest replacing the random sprinkling of what looks like personal stuff with thoughtfully placed items that guests would find useful or appealing during their stay, such as bath and hand towels. 

If this space isn't your home and you're looking to host an STR for the long term, it might be worth eventually reconsidering the furniture arrangement in the living/dining area. The elephantine sofa in particular takes up quite a lot of space for a home that only sleeps 4, and the table squeezed in behind it looks awkward without any chairs. More compact and spaced-out furniture would make the room feel bigger and more open to the stunning view. The second bedroom could also benefit from a bit more flavor - something on the walls, a warm table lamp, window coverings. And if you want to tap into the exploding market of remote workers, a dedicated workspace wherever it fits would add a lot of value.

Of course, you can also go a completely different direction - "luxury" and "business" might not be exactly the themes that best fit your target clientele or hosting style. Whatever your vision is for the kind of people you'd like to host and the unique experience you'd like to provide, just make sure that comes through in your descriptions and is reflected in the range of amenities you offer.

Lorenzo306
Level 2
Florence, Italy

Welcome to this beautiful world David! Improve your photos and be ready to play with your rates correctly...

*solicitation removed*

Lorenzo ,
Italian Superhost Ambassador
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

How did you become an Airbnb ambassador @Lorenzo306 `?

@David8364  it sounds like you need to do some more market research

a) on what hosts with comparable places are charging to help you define your pricing strategy

b) what amenities you should be including

c) how Airbnb works so you understand more example they charge their commission on top of your accommodation rates. 

Look at the Airbnb Help Website and do a search on Airbnb for places in Manchester that are similar to yours.

I would suggest after upgrading your place in terms of the look and feel you take new photos and develop a description that clearly outlines what you offer and sells the benefits of staying at your listing. 

There was an application like 1 year ago and I was chosen 🙂

Lorenzo ,
Italian Superhost Ambassador
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Ah thanks I've never seen them advertise for ambassadors 😁

Becky466
Level 2
Bristol, United Kingdom

I've just had a look at your listing, I'm also new to hosting.  My guessing is you've since changed the photos from the original set uploaded based on the feedback above - the listing looks great, a high end apartment - really beautiful.  I'm imagining you've been receiving some bookings since ?

David8364
Level 2

Hi Becky,

thanks for the comment. Yes I got a professional photographer in to redo the photos and have a good flow of bookings now.

good photos defo make the difference!

how is your hosting going?