Decling a reservation request

Decling a reservation request

I recently received a res request for a cheaper rate.  I plan to decline but my available options from Airbnb dont meet my circumstances.  The closest is "I want a different price" but that sounds like I am the one asking for a rate different than my listing rate.  Here are my options:

Screenshot_20210604-180007_Airbnb.jpg

Seems like this isnt designed for accuracy if Airbnb offers hosts 4 choices.  Wish there was an 'Other' option!

Any advice on what to choose?  Also, should i ignore the nastygram from airbnb about blocking my calendar because i choose to require the amount on my listing? Geez

9 Replies 9
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I would just say “My listing does not fit the guest’s needs” and leave it at that. Also, there might be a field to further describe the reason after you make the choice; I don’t remember.

Frankly, I would guess that particular answer isn’t  scrutinized in detail by Airbnb.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Kim2768 

A reservation request has the rate on it which you have set. Maybe the guest asked in a separate message for some discount ? Just answer you do not provide discounts and ask them to retract the booking request (If they do so, then no decline needed)

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Kim2768, do not decline if possible as they are eventually counted against you. Message the guest back and tell them you do not offer discounts. Explain that you can either accept their booking at the advertised rate or they can withdraw their request. 

Don-And-Emily0
Level 10
Catskill, NY

Every time we decline a reservation it counts against us apparently. We have had so many people disregard the House Rules and requested to book anyway… It’s not fare. Airbnb needs to fix this. 

Also, it’s not fair that airbnb can block those dates. I agree with Kath9 above. Try to get them to withdraw the request. It’s better for your record.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

"Dear Guest, I am unable to offer a discount but I am happy to confirm your stay at the advertised listing price. If you do not wish to do so please withdraw your request quickly. I would hate to see Airbnb charge your credit card and hold your deposit/payment longer than needed. Thank you!"

Ana22389
Level 3
Stanford, KY

Just today I received a request that 1) I did mot feel would meet their request, and 2) I realized I would not be able to adequately ckean between guests. Ok, my bad. I should have blocked that day.

So I immediately went to block that day, then went to formulate a message explaining why I would need to decline their request and that I believed it would not be a good fit.

I was able to send a message but the opportunity to decline the stay was absent.  Instead, I just saw a message that read "not possible."

I imagine that if I later find a cleaner to take care of things on that day, I probably could unblock the date.

Did I find a work around or a loophole?  Will I take a hit for not responding or declining?

@Ana22389 You did not receive a Request but instead an Inquiry. Had it been a request to book then your calendar would have been blocked by the Pending Reservation. You were able to block the date in question because this was an Inquiry and in doing so you made the reservation dates not possible

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ana22389  As Emilia points out, this was an inquiry, not a booking request. I see you aren't a brand new host- are you not aware of the difference between the two?

You do not need to either pre-approve or decline inquiries. Just messaging back within 24 hours fulfills your response requirement.