Do you ask for IDs from your guests?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Do you ask for IDs from your guests?

I have started asking for IDs from all adults about a year ago and has really improved the quality of guests. Airbnb does not verify anything. Years ago a guy registered as "T rex" rented my house and trashed it. Because of that, I thought I needed to take matters in my own hands. It does not even have to be as dramatic as the T-rex party. I have bigger properties so I host bigger groups. I think before I started to ask for IDs, there was a feeling of anonymity by others in the group. If they broke something, no one would notice or it would be someone else's problem. The state of house at departure has improved so much.

It is an ordeal thought and many guests do not like it even though it is in the description, in the house rules and I remind them again immediately upon booking. Peoople claim no one else does this. I have personally been asked for an ID at many Airbnbs.

Do you ask for IDs and if so, how do you handle the process?

12 Replies 12
Elena4354
Level 10
Porto, Portugal

Hello @Inna22 , yes, I ask the IDs and other personal information as it is required by the law in Portugal. 

As part of the country’s regulations, all accommodations, including hotels and vacation rentals, are required to report guest stays to the SEF (law enforcement agency responsible for border control and the enforcement of immigration laws).

To comply with Portuguese regulations we have to ask our guests to provide us their personal information (full name, date and place of birth, nationality, address, ID number and the country that issued the document).

In case if the guest doesn’t provide us the required information check-in instructions won’t be provided to the guest (we have a self check in system). 

Of course all this information is written in the House Rules section of all my listings so the guests are informed about it before they make the reservation. 

Kind regards. 

Elena. 

@Elena4354 thank you for the detailed reply. Do you get a lot of push back from guests?

By the way, love love Portugal

@Inna22 no problems from guests. It is very important to provide this information in the listing. Also guests receive this information again after reservation with the link to  the registration form. 

And yes, yes, yes, Portugal is amazing 🙂

It is not required by law to ask for an ID from ALL guests. It's guests who have not passed through a controlled border. The SEF already has information on all guests who have entered through a controlled border. All that is required is for the host to validate their identity by checking their documents on checkin.

Do you have a link to the law (official PT site, not some blog post) that states it is required from everyone?

@Tarun55 you are in Canada and I am in the US.  Rules and laws vary by country, city etc. You should check your local information. I am asking for IDs regardless of my local law says to do so or not though

@Inna22 i replied to @Elena4354 regarding Portugal. Hosts are asking for sensitive PII without complying with EU GDPR regulations for storing and sharing the data. It makes them liable for a lawsuit. 

@Inna22 I only had during pandemic couple times guests where I thought I would love to ask for an ID. But then I saw it would be useless because I saw that some kids backpacking the bad guests. There are people who invite the young person to book for them and first a young person books on its own and after the person checks in, they all of the sudden update their booking from 1 to 2 people and the bad guest gets into your place. The bad guest is mostly older and dominant and uses the young person to stay at your place. 

@Elisabeth40 why not ask for IDs for both?

Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Inna22 

I say all Guests must be named and have available a legal IB that is the same name as Airbnb profile.Most Guests don't have a problem because it is all about presentation.  It allows me to provide information and rules to the whole party nso the guest doesn't have to manage minor things.  I do but it also means that Airbnb performed a preliminar background check.  No guarantees but no major weirdos.

I mention ID has to match profiled name Airbnb has no way to determine I am submitting my ID ( got burnt once) I have no way of seeing what ID was validated so I protEct Myself.

Yes I get the he will do it after work or too complicated.  I remind a Guest I hAve a profile and they have a profile about a 5 minute task.  If heder just refuse, all I am asking for is a name. Something you tell everyone.  If a secret, sorry I am not comfortable with that decision, I don't approve.

+

9++

---

@Inna22 

All about presentation haha.  My latest idea I am trying today, 

I do require the second Guest have an Airbnb Profile and be invited just to insure everyone has the means to contact me. Thanks Marie

@Marie8425 thats what a lot of guests are doing and there is a lot of value to that. That does not give you any idea who this guest is though. You can free form change your name on Airbnb so what you see means nothing. 

@Inna22 

I agree nothing is guaranteed

I do accomplish that I have a legal means of comunicativo with everyone in the rental.

If for some reason the reserving Guest is not available to communicate I have the ability to communicate with the guest of the guest,.

I do because I learned the hard way, before I approve a reservation I remind that I do require a legal ID that matches profile name,  That is the only way to validate since I don't ask for a copy of the ID,