Do you use a channel manager?

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Do you use a channel manager?

US_SE-363186_GettyImages-foryou.jpg

Hello everyone,

I hope you had a lovely, relaxing weekend. 

I met a couple starting their hosting journey and after mentioning I have been hosting, they asked me if I have used a channel manager.

They were keen to try one but overwhelmed by the sheer number of options and the different bells and whistles. 

Of course, this got me thinking about the Community Center.  

Do you use any channel managers? And if so, how did you choose which one was right for you? What are its “must-haves”? 

I’m looking forward to reading your replies.

Thank you

Nick

18 Replies 18
Lena60
Level 2
State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I'm wondering if you found a channel manager that can deal with parent/child listings? I've been searching and searching and haven't really found one. I haven't consulted the really expensive companies  yet, since I'm in Brazil and 500 dollars a month is not viable. 

Pierre636
Level 2
Annecy, France

Thank you  @John5499, @Charday0, @Ryan2352, and @Inna22. first for naming clearly a  few software names you have experience with. 

I will try in the next. It is always a great help to see a review by a host. 

So from my side, I tried last week with Hosthub and PriceLabs with one listing. Many things went wrong like the advanced notice (2 days) was gone. To change those, I had to jump between Hosthub and PriceLabs. The monthly calendar view on booking.com was gone as soon as it was connected to the Hosthub, etc. When I stopped the trial and canceled, more serious problems popped up. Hosthub disconnected my listings from their software, but their program didn't run properly I strongly guess.  Even though the Airbnb team is working on it already more than two days, no one can book on my Airbnb listing and I as the owner do not have any access to my calendar. Guests get error messages and I cannot do anything to accept bookings. Turning on and off the instant booking work neither because the control is gone to the Hosthub.

Hosthub says they did their work correctly and I should ask Airbnb. Airbnb says Hosthub is still connected.

So what I learned so far. I think a host who is trying to find a channel manager (not too expensive) to avoid double-booking like me, should try first with a small listing which is not very important. (just make a small one) and test whether the channel manager software can connect properly and do what you want. And also disconnect and see whether they can properly disconnect leaving you all your rights back. And never test in a high season. Test it during November for example. 

I was not very clever 🙂 Now I feel like I gave my car and key to a professional for a revision.  They brought my car back but without the key. 

Thank you again to the community for the information with names.  I hope my test result provides some help to other hosts. 

Best and good luck. 

@Pierre636  Did you ever get your issues sorted after leaving Hosthub?  I am currently using Hosthub (trial just expiring) but really thinking of disconnecting with them and moving to a different option. It isn't ideal for me.   Your post makes me nervous about terminating with them.    I'm thinking I should wait until after my current bookings are gone and things are slow before making the break.    I don't hear too many online talking about or reviewing Hosthub.  Maybe that should have been a sign!  

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Not entirely. I am waiting for the low season and looking for another software. I would be happy to hear if someone knows of good software, especially with disconnecting.

After weeks of no access to my calendar, ie. no booking, I found out myself here and there small things that improved my access right on my calendar. I could never get away from the 15%-16%-service fee is on me though. 

It might go all very smoothly. But I would still wait until the high season is over. And if you disconnect from Hosthub, go through your checklist (very important!). You have to test before you let the Hosthub go.

Once the worst case happens, Airbnb will not (rather cannot) help you at all  and they will let you wait, wait, wait…. Keep the account on the Hosthub and ask them to solve the problem, until you get all the functions back. It sounds very worrying…sorry. 🙂 It is better to play it safe. 

Kind regards,