Does ROME have a tourist tax / city tax?

Does ROME have a tourist tax / city tax?

Our host told us that we have to pay 3,50 € per person per night at our arrival. Is that true? I've never heard that we have to pay the tourist tax to our host.

Thanks for help!

13 Replies 13
Niel3
Level 10
Llanberis, United Kingdom

It's not unusual in European cities to have to pay such a tax which is collected upon arrival by hotels, unsure about hosts but if they are registered guest houses then it's likely to be the same setup. Rome has about the most expensive tourist tax I have seen.

Just Googled it and found this - " Roma Capitale authority has decided on tourist accommodation tax payments due from the guests of hotels, holiday homes, rented rooms establishments, bed & breakfasts and camping grounds in Rome (this measure does not apply to hostels). The tourist accommodation tax is due for each night spent in Rome’s accommodation facilities.

Regulation on the Rome city tax, approved on March 30th 2018, has introduced important innovations. Tourists staying in private apartment are required to pay a daily contribution of € 3.50 per person. The fee applies only for the first 10 day"

Tourist taxes in Italy used to be only in large cities and locations that experience a high volume of tourists. That's changed over the last few years after some municipalities sued for the right to charge tourist taxes and won; as time goes by more and more places will begin charging this tax. This applies to both hotels and AirBNB, although hotels collect the tax based on their "star" rating and I believe AirBNB has a flat rate (I haven't confirmed this yet).

The amount you'll pay will vary widely. Some places charge no tourist tax, some charge €7+ per person, per night. Hotels usually ask this to be paid in cash at the end of your stay (so they don't have to pay excessive credit card fees).

You can be sure you're staying in a legal accommodation when they ask for a copy of your passport and they ask you to pay this tax. Anything else is shady.

Jenn80
Level 1
Piedmont, CA

Do children pay the tax as well? 

Bryan10
Level 10
Feltham, United Kingdom

It's true, I remember paying an extra EUR 3.50 cash on arrival in Rome, staying in a small (non-Airbnb)  guesthouse. I recall it being a biy annoying but the amount isn't very high. 

Sammi7
Level 2
Jersey City, NJ

It’s true, I paid mine too in Rome during 2015. So it’s been awhile. 

Xiao Kuang
David4007
Level 2
Brindabella, Australia

My understanding is that Airbnb pays a City Tax (21%) on what they receive from the guest. I don't believe the host/landlord pays any more tax on top of that. Seems to me that the EU3.50/pp/pnight paid in cash might be a way of effectively reducing Airbnb's tax and increasing the real return to the host?

Payments made directly to the host/landlord are not, I understand, subjected to this 21% tax .... but that carries other risks!

Simone568
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

@David4007 AIRBNB italy is still working with the government to find an agreement about the city tax for Rome, this is why it is requested to be taken out from the AIRBNB system. It is not a smart way to have extra incomes. It is a very big problem for roman property owners because it requests extra activities to be legal and the reason is AIRBNB and the government can't find a solution together!

Jo243
Level 2
Ascot Vale, Australia

Seems ridiculous that there is no database that Airbnb can apply - so the guest knows that when in Rome the tourist taxis X - when in Venice the tourist tax is Y.  At other institutions - it is clearly stated at ach host's website.  It is nit 'at discetion' to show it.

Nandita6
Level 1
Dublin, Ireland

I got from Airbnb to pay City tax for the apartment which I booked for 8nights and it is euro 84 is it so much? 

hello Nandita, am a host in Rome and yes you have to pay the tax however for 8 nights, that is quite a bit to high. find out which city your were in and then see what the town council states as the tax per night. Remember that the price is for per person per night and multiply by the nightly figer and thats what you should pay.

Hi! We will be staying in Rome (Trastevere) for 3 nights. Do we pay this tax and if so, how and to whom and when? Im so confused on this. Thanks for any help! We land in Rome on April 22nd for our first time.

Hello @Stacey514 

Trastavere is a fabulous place to stay in Rome😉 As of February of this year, there is a new directive concerning the city tax being collected by Airbnb rather than from host:

https://news.airbnb.com/airbnb-to-collect-and-remit-tourist-taxes-across-italy/

However, I suppose this may depend on when you booked your stay?  If you see the word "tax" on your reservation, then this means that you have already paid the city tax to Airbnb who will then remit the amount to the local authority. I would also contact the host if you are in any doubt.

When in Italy, you will be asked to show your passport/ID to the host who has to provide the information to the local authorities  so don't be surprised by this😉

Have a fabulous stay in Rome,

All the best

Joëlle

Abhishek57
Level 1
Woodford, GB

Hi Elena, please explain the process of paying this tax. Is it per night or per day of staying in an AirBnB (please share any link of government website)?

And, if host is paying this tax collecting cash from guests, then what information and documents does guests needs to provide the host? Does the guest receive any payment certificate? Thanks a lot in advance.