Empowering New Jersey Hosts

Answered!

Empowering New Jersey Hosts

Hey Airbnb Hosts,

Have you heard about the recent news in Dallas? I believe it's crucial for us hosts in New Jersey to come together and discuss how we can navigate the local state government regulations while providing affordable short-term stays in one of the most expensive states. We deserve a voice at the table, considering the positive impact we have on our communities and our commitment to paying taxes.

If any hosts are interested, let's schedule a Zoom call in the near future to strategize and ensure our voices are heard.

Kindly,

1 Best Answer

Hi @Christopher1678 ,

If you are looking to start a new group for your region and if there isn't a suitable one for Hosts in your area, you can follow this link to apply for becoming a Host Club Leader: Community Leader Program.

I hope it helps!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Christina163
Level 10
United States

These people were not discerning enough about who they rented to & so they deserve it.

I have my listings syndicated for daily as well as monthly. If you rent to people who are throwing a party & you didn’t ask them 1st or communicate that there is a max # of ppl allowed then the local government will shut the airbnbs down.

Newport Beach did a good job of curbing this by requiring landlords to have a street captain & nobody under 24 is allowed to rent short term in the city - it’s a small beach town & the streets are all small so this is a good thing…

I appreciate your response. Our industry has faced significant setbacks due to the actions of a few, just as we've seen in NYC. I posted this to gather like-minded individuals in New Jersey who can come together and create a supportive community. We need to advocate for the positive contributions we bring, such as job creation, tourism, tax payments, and driving local commerce.

I believe it's crucial for us to unite and have a collective voice at the table of local government. While opinions are welcome, our primary goal is to move forward and work towards creating a favorable environment for short-term rentals in our state.

If you are interested in joining forces, let's collaborate and take action

Nur785
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Hi @Christopher1678 

I guess I am a little confused by your post. In NJ we are already under the same ban that passed in Dallas, so technically it happened to them later than it happened to us. 

they banned single family houses with no owner present to be used as airbnbs, which has been the rule in New Jersey cities that allow Airbnb  for as long as I remember. 

We are already banned from using single family houses as Airbnbs in most counties (barring lakehouse, mountain cabin type places if permitted by HOAs). 

Jersey City allows only in multi family homes when the owner or (family member of the owner designated as representative) is present on the premises which is my situation as well as every legal Airbnb host in JC. Newark and Hoboken have different rules, but the ban of single family homes are already in effect. That's the same ban that passed in Dallas. Same rules of multi family homes when the owner is present can be used as airbnb still apply. 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Christopher1678 

I just thought I'd check in and see if you were a member of any Local Host Club for your area?

If not, it might be worth heading here to find one, and you'll hopefully find a concentrated amount of people who are also affected by this.

Jenny

-----

Hi @Jenny ,

Unfortunately, NJ doesn't have a single group on this map. I double-checked and it scared me. If we don't have a seat at the local level, Airbnb will suffer everywhere over the next ten years.

Do you have any other info, can we start a group?

Kindly,

Hi @Christopher1678 ,

If you are looking to start a new group for your region and if there isn't a suitable one for Hosts in your area, you can follow this link to apply for becoming a Host Club Leader: Community Leader Program.

I hope it helps!

-----

Thank You, I just applied.