Energy Performance Certificates (EPC or ECI)

John6049
Level 2
Fosciandora, Italy

Energy Performance Certificates (EPC or ECI)

Background, I have two rented properties, one long term in the UK and one airbnb in Italy. In the UK the energy performance certificates are pretty well established, although there is a lot of dispute over there usefulness.

So on my UK property I am required to have an up to date certificate which is available to tenants. The regulations are in a state of flux, but newly rented properties are going to have a rating of C from 2025 and existing tenancies by 2028.

The UK seems to be following similar moves in the EU. This is all part of the EU's move to zero carbon emissions for 2050, which might sound like miles away but in the UK it is happening in stages with a move to a minimum of B somewhere around 2035 and arriving somehow at A by 2050.

My question, there are now moves to harmonise across the EU on the energy certificates and also to improve the housing stock and make them more energy efficient, so does anyone out there know what rules are being discussed in the EU and Italy in particular, and does it mean that any property that is used for short term rental will need an EPC or ECI of level  C or better within the next few years, even if not occupied outside the summer months? 

Any answers much appreciated. Cheers John

3 Replies 3
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hey @John6049 ,

Did you manage to get any information about this? 

You can also reach out to area-specific Hosts by joining  Local Host Clubs near you to connect with them and know more around your query.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi Bhumika,

I have managed to pin down a few answers to this question. Doing some research and other sources I seem to have come up with the following answers:

1- As of now, several countries in the European Union, such as Italy, France, Spain, and Portugal, have regulations that require hosts to provide an energy performance certificate for their property to guests. However, the enforcement of these regulations may vary, and it may not be a requirement for Airbnb to display these certificates on their platform.

2- Law 90/2013 is a law in Italy that transposed the Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (EPBD) into national legislation. The EPBD is a European Union directive that aims to improve the energy efficiency of buildings across the EU, by setting minimum energy performance standards for new and existing buildings, and by requiring regular inspections and assessments of the energy performance of buildings.
The Italian government transposed the EPBD into national law with the passage of Legislative Decree No. 63 of 4 June 2013, which amended Legislative Decree No. 192 of 19 August 2005 on energy performance in buildings. Law 90/2013 provides additional guidance and regulations related to the implementation of the EPBD in Italy, including provisions for the energy certification of buildings, the promotion of energy efficiency in the construction sector, and the development of national plans for improving the energy performance of buildings.

3- Starting from December 31, 2025, all buildings in Italy, both new and existing, must meet the minimum energy performance requirements established by the European Union's Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (EPBD).
The minimum EPC rating required for buildings in Italy will depend on the building's use and the year in which it was constructed or renovated. However, the Italian government has set a goal of achieving a minimum energy performance rating of class B for all buildings by 2030, in line with the EU's climate and energy goals.

The correct minimum EPC ratings for buildings in Italy from 2022 to 2025 are as follows:
From 1 January 2022: minimum EPC rating of class F
From 1 January 2023: minimum EPC rating of class E
From 1 January 2024: minimum EPC rating of class D
From 1 January 2025: all buildings, both new and existing, must meet minimum energy performance requirements, which are yet to be defined.(my guess is it will be C)
These minimum EPC ratings are based on Legislative Decree No. 28 of 3 March 2011, which sets out the minimum energy performance requirements for buildings in Italy. The decree was subsequently updated by Legislative Decree No. 63 of 4 June 2013, which transposed the Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (EPBD) into Italian law.

My observation would be that getting all new and existing property up to an EPC of C  in Italy by 1/1/2025 is going to be almost impossible task so this sets up a very confrontational situation between the EU and the Italian government, although it would look like the government would be breaking its own law as well as an EU directive.