FL State Occupancy Tax Receipts

Answered!
Jane3328
Level 2
Bradenton, FL

FL State Occupancy Tax Receipts

Hello, 

I know that Airbnb collects state occupancy taxes and apparently remits those directly to the FL Dept of Revenue in my behalf (I'm in Manatee Co.).  Has anyone ever received a receipt from Airbnb on what they've paid out, besides being told to download your transaction history and calculate it out? If so, how did you get it? This should be a straightforward thing for Airbnb to do for its hosts. The Support Center hasn't been helpful, other than to tell me things I already know.     

It should also be straightforward for a state gov't to be able to tell you what's been received, but that's another battle for me, I guess! 

Thanks for your insights, 

Jane  

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Jane3328  You will never get a receipt from AirBnB showing the taxes paid to your tax jurisdictions.   Also, AirBnB does not file per tax ID when they pay the taxes, so the tax entity won't have any way to show on your account if the taxes were paid.

On the advice of my accountant, I file a zero due tax return with each of the tax entities that AirBnB is purportedly paying on my behalf.   If you have the occasional direct pay guest, or a guest who books through a platform that does not pay the taxes on your behalf, you would have to file those forms anyway.

I have been filing this way for many years.

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Jane3328  You will never get a receipt from AirBnB showing the taxes paid to your tax jurisdictions.   Also, AirBnB does not file per tax ID when they pay the taxes, so the tax entity won't have any way to show on your account if the taxes were paid.

On the advice of my accountant, I file a zero due tax return with each of the tax entities that AirBnB is purportedly paying on my behalf.   If you have the occasional direct pay guest, or a guest who books through a platform that does not pay the taxes on your behalf, you would have to file those forms anyway.

I have been filing this way for many years.

@Lorna170 thank you for sharing that.  I understand that Airbnb collects taxes and remits on a gigantic scale, but given there are now algorithms for practically everything wouldn't it be nice if they sent receipts to hosts!  I'm grateful for your response.