FYSA: Potential legislation to ban STRs in La Quinta CA

Ryan2352
Level 10
Thousand Oaks, CA

FYSA: Potential legislation to ban STRs in La Quinta CA

For your situational awareness:

For any members in La Quinta, California there is a ballot initiative in front of the city council to ban STRs.  I received this from a host in La Quinta I met in an Air B&B FB group.  Posting here to raise awareness.  Hopefully we have some owners here in that area that can help.

URGENT – Ballot initiative to phase out all short-term rentals in La Quinta Dear members and supporters, Neighbors for Neighborhoods (N4N), a group strongly opposed to short term rentals, filed an STVR phase-out ballot initiative request with the city of La Quinta on Wednesday 11/3. The initiative is attached to this email. This is a very serious issue that affects all short term vacation rental permit holders in all residential zones of La Quinta, HOAs included. If successful in their effort, N4N will achieve a full ban of all short term rentals in residential zones in La Quinta by December 31st 2024. We cannot stress the severity of this issue enough, therefore we are holding 3 all-member meetings next week: Tuesday 11/9 at 6PM Wednesday 11/10 at 6PM Saturday 11/13 at 11AM The Zoom link for all 3 meetings is: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86763398509Join our Cloud HD Video Meetingus02web.zoom.us

First two meetings have taken place but there's a 3rd on Saturday if you know of anyone in LQ. Thanks

2 Replies 2
Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

Question... is not LaQuinta the name of a hotel/motel chain? I have one in my town in Bend, Oregon?  Just asking.

Susan

Yes, La Quinta is the name of a hotel chain. La Quinta means "villa", or a secondary home. 

It just happens to also be the name of the town in California.

I hope the AirBnb hosts in this area can fight back against this proposed restriction. I feel sympathy for them. Imagine setting up your AirBnb, building your business, and then have it taken away. 😞