Fee for charging electric vehicle?

Answered!
David3095
Level 2
Newton, NC

Fee for charging electric vehicle?

We have had request to allow charging of electric vehicles overnight at our bed and breakfast.

Can we state in the listing that there will be an additional fee collected onsite for charging?

The fees would vary depending on the kwh usage. 

1 Best Answer
Thom4
Level 2
Dalton, GA

Wow, I see a lot of misconceptions here on the cost to charge an EV.   My Model 3 cost me $12.30 USD to charge it from home for the first 5 weeks I owned it. We used a total 167KW of power during that time period paying 7.4 cents per KW from our local utility.

We also didn't have to spend more than about $250 to have a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in the garage to plug the mobile charging cable in to. You shouldn't have to install a dedicated charger, only a 14-50 outlet.

A NEMA 14-50 outlet a very common dryer outlet used here in the US.

View Best Answer in original post

40 Replies 40

20 pounds is about right depending on the car and how long been charging 

Honestly people who charge their EVs are taking advantage of hosts. You wouldn't set up a gas station at your house and not expect people to pay for fuel would you? People that can afford an EV can afford to fuel it. Most Airbnb owners don't charge enough to offer this as a free service.

I'm interested to know where you netted out on this. We have just installed a fast EV charger and I have someone arriving tomorrow with an electric car. Given the price of electricity in the UK at the moment, I have just done a quick calculation, and you can charge a mid-size EV in 10 hours, but it would cost around £50.

This seems a lot, but have to pass the cost on.

Interested to know how others are handling the price hike.

Hi average newish electric car would cost just under 20 pounds from empty to full. 64 kWh X 30p ~£19

So 5 pounds not cutting it and 50 is way over the mark. 

On my home charger it shows how much power has went into previous charge session. 

Hope this helps. On my 4th electric car so I'm well rehearsed. A granny lead aka three pin plug charger can only pull around 2kw per hour. Appose to proper home charger can pull 7kw per hour.

Our guest last night messaged us that the power in the bathrooms and the outdoor string lights were out. 

Turns out that they just bought a $50k new VW EV and unplugged the string light extension cord and plugged in their vehicle. Because it was on a GFCI circuit it blew.

We are looking into getting a dedicated 15amp circuit with no GFCI for future guests to charge their vehicles. It looks like it will cost us less than $10 a day in electric charges which is okay with us (our place goes for $149 a night).

Jon3581
Level 1
Portland, OR

Seems reasonable to me to charge a fee to cover the cost.  Would you expect someone to buy a tank of gas for you?   

I think having the option for people might get you more guests because people who own EVs are always needing to find places to charge their car.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

It's not just the cost of electricity, if you get a dedicated EV outlet, that's going to cost  @$1000 to have installed.  

I don't know about Australia, but no, you don't need a dedicated EV outlet. You could install one if you wanted, but it will not cost anywhere near $1000, and you can get a tax break if you do.

Thom4
Level 2
Dalton, GA

Wow, I see a lot of misconceptions here on the cost to charge an EV.   My Model 3 cost me $12.30 USD to charge it from home for the first 5 weeks I owned it. We used a total 167KW of power during that time period paying 7.4 cents per KW from our local utility.

We also didn't have to spend more than about $250 to have a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in the garage to plug the mobile charging cable in to. You shouldn't have to install a dedicated charger, only a 14-50 outlet.

A NEMA 14-50 outlet a very common dryer outlet used here in the US.

@Thom4 We currently have a  minimally communicative group from Florida for a week who have been charging their two Teslas seemingly non-stop since they checked-in (our neighbor brought it to our attention since they were circling the house for a while looking for outlets). They have yet to disclose anything about their vehicle's electric needs which is pretty irritating and I have no idea how much it will realistically cost us in the long-run to have them charge their vehicles for a week. From your comment it seems like it shouldn't be THAT much here in north GA so I'm likely projecting my frustration  with this guest who doesn't say anything in general but is ready to complain about the presence of pollen on the outdoor furniture (yeah, ok!). Our cabin in Blue Ridge so I think you'd be better acquainted with costs in GA. 

i feel your frustration and i own a cabin rental in Ellijay. i just added a Level 2 charging system and i am charging customers for the use of it and up charging for convenience fee.

the system i installed is made for Vacation rentals and commercial use.

How much are you charging guests?

I am trying to figure out how much to charge them

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Thom4 Wow you have cheap electricity in Georgia. In the UK most people are paying 37 cents per kWh. so your $12.30 would be $61.30. I don't see why guests would expect free gas from a host so surely they should be charged for the electric.

Wow I wish our electricity was that cheap. It's double that here.

Vivien192
Level 1
Oxford, United Kingdom

I have recently installed a CV Charger. Cost well over £1000

I'm happy to let guests use it. Going forward, guests will expect EV Chargers at the properties they rent. Hopefully there will be accessible chargers everywhere-making it possible for fully electric car users to travel stress free!