Homestay licences from MBPP Penang, Malaysia

Sc0
Level 2
Penang, Malaysia

Homestay licences from MBPP Penang, Malaysia

Hi Penang hosts, the news of the fines to Birch House hosts yesterday was alarming. This is the first time I've heard of homestay licences in Penang. Anyone got more to share? Before I call the council on Monday? 

tx! Sharon 

#Penang #SEACommunity #Hosts.

28 Replies 28
Spices0
Level 2
George Town, Malaysia

Homestay license? I do not think so. How about year rent license? We do not have one too! We get the tenancy agreement stamped is the legal but there is no law for short stay. Penang host has been really concern about this problem. If you try applying license from MBPP, they will give you a temporary hotel license. It will cost you RM7000 for 3 months. My advise, do not get yourselves into trouble until they announce a new "City Stay License". This is in the midst of discussiona and finalization from the goverment.

Hi Spices, good day!

1. Is there any time frame or period for the "City Stay License" to be finalized?

2. And what roughly is the "City Stay License"?

3. So what we can do now is just wait?  Or continue what we are doing?

Thanks

Jern

Jerold0
Level 1
George Town, Malaysia

Hi,

Anyone have latest news?

Sholud we all stop the airbnb hosting now?

Thank you.

So far in Malaysia only Penang has this issue... don't understand why MBPP is  so particular on this matter. Really hope the operators can have a meeting with them.

Otherwise the building management forgot is owner to pay them the salary for the works simply issue the letter to threaten the owner

George70
Level 2
George Town, Malaysia

George70
Level 2
George Town, Malaysia

Hi I'm George and I'm quite new in airbnb hosting and I'm interested in joining the Host Community for penang group but do not know how t get into it.  Can someone help. 

Ya, im interest too.. can i know how to join??

Boh0
Level 1
Singapore

Latest news: MBPP has issue more then 100 fines to host in Penang Times Square and licensing department calling up owner to warn them to stop renting short term or face court case. As a Penang host this news is very alarming and short rent host should take note that anytime MBPP might just come and raid any condo and issue fines to owner renting short term.

I understand that Times Square issue is different because the JMB is oppose to having their apartment renting out for Homestay and therefore have a standing house rule against short stay. 

Shiraj1
Level 1
Islamabad, Pakistan

let face court.they have no law to bar short term.they should also ban long term and people will stay all round in hotels.

If i am not mistaken Penang Times Square condos, has a commercial title status shouldn't have any issue.

Chang-Seng0
Level 1
Penang, Malaysia

If Grab car & Uber can be legalize why not for Airbnb?

I'm Just about to start homstasy business, hopefully they have a clear guidline.

El9
Level 1
George Town, Malaysia

May I know what's the status of the homestay licences? Any issue if we continue renting out with Airbnb?

Eng-Beng0
Level 2
George Town, Malaysia

How to apply licence & what licence we needed?