Hosting for free to cancer families

Josephine70
Level 3
Everett, WA

Hosting for free to cancer families

I was wondering how I would protect myself if I offer my Airbnb to a former guest whose son is a cancer patient. I wanted to host for free for a couple of months.

Anybody knows? 

I appreciate it.

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Josephine70  Don't do it through Airbnb. Make a private arrangement (do you still have this past guest's phone number or personal contact info?) where you take a security deposit in cash, and make things very clear to the son and his parent about what behavior is expected. If it doesn't work out, you can always boot him out.

@Josephine70    Sarah is right. If you are offering the home for free, it's not an Airbnb booking - if they're not collecting their fees, they have no reason to offer you any kind of coverage. 

If this person is only a second-hand contact whom you don't know very well, a written rental contract and security deposit would be the normal ways to protect yourself. Even if you wish to offer the home in the spirit of charity, you are still providing long-term housing, with all the rights and obligations implied by that. There should be a clear understanding of what is "free" and what expenses the guest is expected to cover - for example, are you footing the bill for unlimited use of the utilities?