Hosting without a proper kitchen

Jeanette160
Level 2
Dwygyfylchi, United Kingdom

Hosting without a proper kitchen

Hi everyone, I have been told it is unlawful for me to continue trading as my kitchen area in our Airbnb means I have to apply for planning to subdivide our house into two separate units.  Can anyone advise me what I need to remove and what I can keep in our airbnb so that I can continue trading within the law.? Thanks in advance! 

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jeanette160 Most local authorities will tell you the info for their specific locality. Where we used to live the ability to cook food was the differentiator so we could have a sink but no cooker.

Why don't you just apply for retrospective planning and carry on as normal? The planning should make clear you are applying for a Furnished Holiday Let as long as you can comply with the rules on availability and yearly letting. Its likely that this will be rated for Business Rates but you will likely (in England anyway) get small business rates relief so should cost you nothing.

Jeanette160
Level 2
Dwygyfylchi, United Kingdom

Hi Jean0 thank you for your reply. We did apply for planning retrospectively as the National Park we belong to informed us that we had to cease trading as we had no plans in place.  We did this in August and have just had an email from the planning with no clear result 😳. But through me asking them can I continue as an Airbnb but provide breakfast? - so basically a bed and breakfast can I continue to trade the reply was yes.  However I would prefer our guests to stay in the basement as before but just supplying ‘ the essentials’ without it being a ‘kitchen’ - hence my question what can I provide? I’m trying to avoid asking the planning department incase I get into more trouble! 
sorry for my complicated question and response to your help.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sadly the only people who can clarify this for you is your local planning team. @Jeanette160 

Any reason you can’t leave a fresh breakfast basket with pastries, rolls, juice, fresh coffee etc for them to make their own breakfast if you would rather they didn’t access your accommodation