Hotel Occupancy Tax

Answered!
Phil3896
Level 2
Tyler, TX

Hotel Occupancy Tax

I see that this topic has been talked about but I'm not finding a good answer.

I'm in Tyler, Texas with one property. The HOT (hotel occupancy tax) that AirBnB collects is a STATE tax that is sent to the State of Texas. There is a LOCAL 9% HOT that is not collected and thus not remitted to the city. 

I'd LOVE to know if there is a way to auto-add this to a reservation so the guest can see it. I'm then HOPING it would be reported in the CSV we can download so I can report and remit the 9% to the city without a ton of spreadsheet gyrations.

Anyone else have experience with this? 

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Phil3896  You are able to add the local 9% tax using the custom tax section of your listing.  That will then show and collect the tax from your guests.

However, without a tax agreement between AirBnB and your city tax department, the collected city tax will be sent to you as part of the guest payment ( less the state tax ) and you will have to file and pay the tax according to you city regulations .  

How AirBnB will codify this tax on the csv that they offer is questionable. I doubt that there will be an easy to use breakdown.    You may need to calculate what is being collected per rental yourself.  

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16

Thanks, Paula! I will reach out to Phil that way 

I’m glad you asked this question because I was thinking the same exact thing!