Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

How to insure your home with short term rentals

Robert8506
Level 1
Ding Dong, TX

How to insure your home with short term rentals

I am trying to insure my tiny home to rent out. But nobody wants to cover it since it's on the same property as my main house. Who do you go through in Texas?

3 Replies 3

@Robert8506 

Not familiar with Texas market? I have heard Proper Insurance (expensive but comprehensive) and Steadily are two insurers in the USA that offer Short Term Rental Insurance. I have also heard that CBIZ and Foremost offer it.

Best to speak to an independent insurance agent and clearly mention you need STR insurance; some try to sell you landlord insurance which is not the same. Some insurance companies offer an add-on policy (State Farm) with certain conditions including that you occupy the property yourself for a specific period. Always read the fine print as many exclusions and conditions are buried somewhere in the policy. One thing with Proper Insurance is, I believe they only cover Short Term Rentals (less than 30 days), but don't cover 30+ nights. You would have to ask about that if planning mid-term stays (30+).

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Robert8506 Proper and Foremost insure short term rentals. Not sure if they operate in your area

@Inna22 Thank you for your quick reply and info.