Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Hurricane Helene

Erica2038
Level 1
Black Mountain, NC

Hurricane Helene

Hello Hosts!

My husband and I own and operate two Airbnbs in Black Mountain, NC, which was devastated by Hurricane Helene. Almost all our guest from October - December canceled. They were all given refunds but now I can not access the record of money lost due to the cancellations. Airbnb has basically told me they will not give the information to me as I was not paid. I need the summary of money lost for my insurance. Does anyone know how I can access this information? Why will Airbnb not share this information? 
Thank you

Erica 

3 Replies 3
Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Erica2038 

It has bothered me in the past that when a guest cancels, I cannot see on the system what the value of the transaction was. One can keep your own spreadsheet, but I do understand that in your situation you want to show an official Airbnb record of the canceled transactions. I tried again now to see if canceled amounts are visible somewhere and I cannot find anything. I hope another host has some idea that can help, but to me it looks like you cannot retrieve this information.

@Erica2038 

So sorry for everyone in the areas affected by Helene. I am trying to think of a way to get that information, but as @Shelley159 said, I don't think there is a way to do it? I'll keep thinking on that one. Many Hosts create a PDF document for each reservation by using Microsoft print to PDF option and keep the PDF on their computer for reference. Some also print out each reservation for record-keeping purposes. There must be many other Hosts in your area in the same boat? Those fortunate enough to have loss of income coverage on their short term rental policies would need this same information.

If you kept the guest phone numbers, you could ask them to help, but Airbnb has been removing the guest phone number from the reservation details post stay and if a guest cancels. We have been adding the guest phone number to the note section on reservations for this reason, as it remains on the reservation detail for reference if needed. Maybe another Host has an idea?

Joan2709_0-1729350476588.png

Since so many other Hosts will need this information in your area, perhaps one of the moderators can bring this to the attention of the appropriate Team at Airbnb? @Paula , @Quincy , @Bhumika , @Rebecca 

@Joan2709 @Erica2038 @Shelley159 Hello friends, I Co-host in Boone NC and we have been dealing with similar issues. Look in your email for the original booking notice from the now canceled guests and this information is provided there. It will be a pain to compile for insurance. The best way is by going through your messages to find and write down the names of all canceled guests. Then cross-reference with your email using search. Airbnb really should step in with a tool for this but I haven't seen it.