Incorrect Occupancy Taxes

Mark3018
Level 2
Reston, VA

Incorrect Occupancy Taxes

My jurisdiction unfortunately raised our Occupancy Taxes and AirBnB is not collecting the correct amount. I've opened up three support cases and all three have been closed. I get routed each time to Airbnb Community Support and it appears that no one is reading what I am saying and closing it without any action. How do I get it to AirBnB's attention that they aren't collecting the correct amount?

It looks like in many of the past cases that users were able to get this escalated to Airbnb Escalation Case Executive to have it resovled:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help-with-your-business/Airbnb-has-been-charging-wrong-amount-of...

I've had it "escalated" before, but that just kicks me to Airbnb Community Support  which is unable to help. They send a link to the AirBnb website with the incorrect resolution and just close the case. Any thoughts, on any other tactics to apply other than hoping an Airbnb Escalation Case Executive sees this post?

5 Replies 5
Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Mark3018 👋

Sorry to read that you're having issues with Airbnb collecting the incorrect occupancy taxes. It's been a while since you posted and I'm wondering whether you managed to get a resolution? It would be great to hear from you 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi @Mark3018 

It does seem like Airbnb has difficulty keeping up with changes in Occupancy and Sales Taxes. It is a huge task. My only suggestion is to contact the taxing jurisdiction that has changed the Occupancy Tax rate and have them contact Airbnb and advise them of the change. It is very difficult for a Host to get Airbnb to do it. 

The only other option is for you  to turn on Pro Tools and add a Custom Tax. That will be paid to you by Airbnb and then you will have to forward the tax collected to the appropriate taxing authority...a real pain. Doing this also means you'll have to monitor every reservation and keep an eye on it in case Airbnb finally does change the rate. I would only do this as a last resort. 

I would try to get your local taxing jurisdiction to notify Airbnb of the change first. 

@Joan2709  Great advice on contacting the tax authority.  They want their money for sure and righly so. 

Karen

@Karen114 @Mark3018 

The only caveat I would throw out here is if you contact the local taxing jurisdiction you will be on their radar. If you have reservations where the Occupancy Tax was incorrect on a reservation, the Host is still responsible to pay any tax owed; not Airbnb.

Just a word to the wise....

@Joan2709 

Valid concern! I've found that all of us are already "on their radar."  They use excellent host compliance software to make sure all hosts on all platforms are totally legal in the system. I've gotten a lot of excellent help from them as they definitely want us all to succeed in this business. Not an adversary relationship here, at all. Different places with different civil servants, economies,  and populations may differ, of course, but travel & tourism is vital to our local and regional economy so we all work together at making it work.