Incorrect information on 1099 - No CS Help

Shawn872
Level 2
Stephens City, VA

Incorrect information on 1099 - No CS Help

We just started renting our property last year (2023).  We live in VA but the property is in NC.  The 1099 provided by Airbnb lists the state of the income as VA, not NC.  I've talked to about a dozen CS reps who all say it needs to be handled by someone "higher up" but I've gotten no interaction from this person.  

So I fundamentally have 2 problems - 

1. The 1099 is incorrect and I can't get anyone who can fix it for me. 

2. I have no way of knowing if the sales/occupancy taxes that were being collected from guests were actually distributed to the correct state and county.

This experience is giving me grave concerns about continuing to do business with an organization that can't seem to correct something that should be simple and provide transparent tax payout confirmation.  

Any advice?

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Shawn872 Have you considered contacting the IRS and asking them what to do if a 1099 supplied by Airbnb is wrong? I suspect Airbnb may take more notice of the IRS than US hosts!

Thanks for the suggestion!  That's a good thought!  I suppose that is on the list of things I can try to escalate the situation.  I have emailed back and forth with someone who claims to be working on the problem - but the lack of clear answers from Airbnb's obvious off-shore customer service call center has been disconcerting to be very honest.  It seems like this problem is not on their script of contingencies and therefore I get passed around from person to person who all do the following:

1. point me to the 1099 correction page (which only allows me to change my personal info, not the listing state on 1099) and has an option to click the link to get more help for other info - which I did to start the ticket.   

2.  send me articles that vaguely have to do with taxes and 1099 forms etc

3.  assure me that a team member with more specialities will need to assist me and that they are working on it.  

Perhaps that is indeed the case, but nothing I've received yet gives me confidence that someone overseas knows anything about US Federal/State tax law and requirements.  (Fair enough, I have no idea how taxes work in India, but I would hope that Airbnb would have someone in their CS department that could dive in navigate tax issues.)