Issue with Airbnb upholding it's "person's rights" in guest review

Answered!
Robin1421
Level 1
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany

Issue with Airbnb upholding it's "person's rights" in guest review

A guest who was reported for multiple violations including bringing unauthorized guests and consuming illegal substance in the apartment wrote a review where he called us to be "Biased towards white people" and to be "frauds and scammers". We flagged the review to airbnb with all evidence, they themselves are aware of the complaints against the guest and are yet to conclude them. We have been a superhost for 6 years and have hosted guests from all backgrounds. We also have  have it written explicitly in our policy that we do not discriminate any individuals based on their backgrounds. I have highlighted to airbnb agent that the deragatory comments guest posted goes against Airbnb's "person's rights" and violates multiple sections of EU Convention on Human Rights in addition to German penal code on defamation. Airbnb refused to take down the review - which I told them I would except if they clarify why these comments do not violate their own policy and EU law. They simply closed the case without explanation.

Requesting the community's thoughts on this and what steps can I take? I love the platform and have been a diligent host for 6 years and its heartbraking when airbnb displays these biases towards guests like this.

1 Best Answer

@Abdullah-R-0 

I see...if there were other guests complaining that changes the situation. I would try again to get the review removed. Provide screen shots of the other guests complaints and your proof of house rule violations again. I would not call Airbnb but use the chat feature so there is a written record. 

Did you charge for the unregistered guests? Did the guest staying pay it? If so, they have admitted they broke the house rules. If they didn't pay, and you don't have anything in your house rules stating there is a fee for unregistered guests, then I don't believe Airbnb will help you on that one. 

I think there is also something like the guest has to provide proof of an issue within 72 hours? (not sure about the time frame) after check-out. If they didn't complain within that window, it's no valid. For example: guest complains 5days after checkout that they developed reaction to bed bugs. That is outside the reporting window and should not be honored as far as refunds go. I think the review would still stand however.

For now, I would post a public response (non-emotional and factual) that points out the guest posted a negative review after they brought in unregistered guests against house rules and whatever else they did. Keep it short. That way other guests can read between the lines. 

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7

@Robin1421 

So sorry this happened...

These situations are a no-win for the Host. If guests are breaking house rules and are called on it, then it almost guarantees a bad review. Unscrupulous guests will craft a negative review including false statements not related to their breaking House rules and many times it cannot be removed as retaliatory. Really only two options for Hosts:

1. Accept they will get a negative review after enforcing house rules and then publicly respond to the negative review and hope future guests see through the false claims as "sour grapes" because they got caught breaking rules.

2. Don't say anything while guest is staying about breaking house rules. Wait for them to write a review and/or wait until just before the 14-day review period is over and send Airbnb a claim for damages and extra guest fees through the resolution center and write your own honest review and mention the guest broke house rules. This way the guest has already written their review (or missed the 14-day window to write theirs) and is not aware you know they broke house rules and are going to charge them a fine and they of course cannot do anything as their review is already posted. Be sure you have in your house rules the fee/fine for sneaking in unregistered guests.

I agree with you and try to do this all the time. But some guests are difficult. What I’m really disappointed is sometimes airbnb’s position despite pointing out with evidence about the violations. Should they not at least provide a clarification? 

@Abdullah-R-0 

I see...if there were other guests complaining that changes the situation. I would try again to get the review removed. Provide screen shots of the other guests complaints and your proof of house rule violations again. I would not call Airbnb but use the chat feature so there is a written record. 

Did you charge for the unregistered guests? Did the guest staying pay it? If so, they have admitted they broke the house rules. If they didn't pay, and you don't have anything in your house rules stating there is a fee for unregistered guests, then I don't believe Airbnb will help you on that one. 

I think there is also something like the guest has to provide proof of an issue within 72 hours? (not sure about the time frame) after check-out. If they didn't complain within that window, it's no valid. For example: guest complains 5days after checkout that they developed reaction to bed bugs. That is outside the reporting window and should not be honored as far as refunds go. I think the review would still stand however.

For now, I would post a public response (non-emotional and factual) that points out the guest posted a negative review after they brought in unregistered guests against house rules and whatever else they did. Keep it short. That way other guests can read between the lines. 

Robin1421
Level 1

Thanks Joan. Really appreciate your insights on this. So I have provided airbnb photo evidence of most of the violations including the guest sending me photo IDs of 2 other guests who were not in the booking. The guest refused to pay for additional charges, however airbnb settled the amount on their behalf.

I have given them a public reply. I hope they can review it because I feel terribly unfair being subjected to this. And very disappointed with Airbnb's otherwise top support process.

Thank you again for your very helpful responses.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Robin1421 why do the EU convention on human rights and the German penal code apply to a review in Dhaka?

Any thoughts?

Robin1421
Level 1

I live in Germany and my account is based in Germany. But yes, I too was confused about the correct jurisdiction.