London bookings January 2022 - is it very quiet generally?

Nick2339
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

London bookings January 2022 - is it very quiet generally?

I'm curious to know how other hosts in London are doing at the moment? It has gone very quiet for me. I've dropped my price to see if that might make a difference. Is there anywhere I can see what the demand is like in general in my part of London? Or London in general? Is it always quiet at this time of year or is this another covid thing?

8 Replies 8
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Nick2339 

I am not sure what your minimum stay is, or if you usually get international or more local guests, but when I still did short term, I found January to be the quietest month of the year. So, yes, it could be COVID related seeing as cases here in London are so high and self isolation and testing requirements for arriving in the UK have only been loosened over the past couple of days.

Now that I host only long term guests, all three of my rooms are fully booked for January. I find that January is a popular time for long term guests to start stays, e.g. students returning to university.

I really don't know where you would be able to see what demand is like in London. Under your insights/performance tab, there is a 'conversion rate' section. Here you can compare to 'similar listings' but I really don't know how accurate or useful that is. When you look at the price tips in your calendar, I'm not convinced that the system is comparing our listings to ones that are truly that similar so it's likely that the conversion rate section is pretty useless at this too.

There may also be Apps that could provide you with some info. I used to subscribe to one called your porter/my porter, but that seems to have become Guesty now and isn't free.

Nick2339
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thanks for these insights - all good to know. I did have a couple of enquiries since posting neither followed up with booking but at least there is some signs of life.

Nick

Been on Airbnb over 6 years, January and February normally slow, and when I lower my daily rates, I get the unwanted guests.  High end rates, I get high end people.   Last summer was the busiest time I have ever experienced.  I think travelers were anxious to get out and forget about the Covid affect.  This January is the most quiet time I have experienced in 6 years hosting.  I guess, covid effect, and price increase in general, recessions in a lot of countries people pullback from traveling.  There might be more bookings for February, valentines for love birds.  January and February is the time to take a break, I’ve decided not to lower my rates too much.  March will start picking up.  But every January and February is normally slow seasons here in Toronto.  Best is you list your space for long terms for just couple of months.  

Casey279
Level 1
San Diego, CA

I’m in the US but have the same situation I only host min 30 days and there have been zero requests. This is the first time this has happened. 

Nick2339
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thanks - useful to know.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks for your help.

I want to know how other hosts in London are doing at the moment and I am glad I have found my answer over here. I am thankful to you for helping me out by sharing this information with us. 

[Personal advertisement removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]