Long term stay conversions

Answered!
Connie474
Level 2
Houston, TX

Long term stay conversions

Since I started airbnb, I originally planned to gear my private room rentals to traveling nurses etc.  so I was advertising on Airbnb as a secondary site.  To my surprise Airbnb, produced more concrete monthly stays and I have had conversions from Monthly stays to 3–4 month short term leases.  Mainly working nomads, military relocations, etc.

When a guests asks to extend past a month I give them an option to extend via Airbnb.  If the extension is  for one month or longer they will have to sign a lease agreement ( for my protection) and since they had to have proven to be a good tenant on Airbnb, I wave security deposit, if they have already been a monthly Airbnb guest in good standings at my rental.

They are then Required to pay electronically via my apartment private room listing site.

It has proven to be quite useful and if I wanted to do additional background checks, I can have tenant follow full process.

This process required me to block room rentals. 

I quickly became a superhost due to great ratings and the number of nightly stays.  Will my status get impacted if I continue to get monthly conversions to short term leases?

Because it will ultimately show up as less nightly rentals although I am booked, due to pleased guests.

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Connie474 simple answer is yes it will affect you if you take off-platform bookings.

Also if you are extending a stay then technically it should be on -platform. Now if they start a NEW stay with you for the night the Airbnb stay finished then this is technically allowed as long as it isn't arranged on the Airbnb platform.

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Connie474 simple answer is yes it will affect you if you take off-platform bookings.

Also if you are extending a stay then technically it should be on -platform. Now if they start a NEW stay with you for the night the Airbnb stay finished then this is technically allowed as long as it isn't arranged on the Airbnb platform.

@Mike-And-Jane0 

Thanks for reply. It would be nice to handle both on Airbnb, but that option is not available.

Yes the guests only sign up for long term lease 2-3 months after their Airbnb reservation is complete.

I encourage my guests to stay on Airbnb as a preferred platform for 1 month or less bookings or extensions.

As the legal rules change when the stay over a month, have decided to require leases for extensions up to a month or more.

It has worked surprisingly well as I believe guests are using Airbnb as a vetting for good land lords for short term multi month leases.

I think it is a win win for Airbnb and private room rentals.  Different market than typical vacationers.  Working nomads, professional training, temporary work assignments, relocations.