New Host and first enquiry looks potentially dodgy!

Answered!
Daniel8349
Level 2
Northleach, United Kingdom

New Host and first enquiry looks potentially dodgy!

Hi All,

I have just opened my first hosting experience, letting my property over the summer, and my first enquiry is from someone who has joined this month and has no reviews. 

The opening query was 'Good evening, I’m trying to find somehwere available from the 28th July to the 18th of august. I’m just 1 person and will hardly be there just to sleep and wash clothes. Could you let me know the best price you could do for the 3 weeks?'.

My response was ' Hi.Thanks for your email. I am happy to look at a discount for you. Can you let me know if you would require cleaning / linen changes? Do you have a budget in mind? '

Their response was 'Cleaning/linen would be ideal but not totally necessary. In terms of budget, I would be happy to pay for whatever you think the house would be worth as a long term let for 1 month, plus a bit more as I’m sure you could make a bit more out of it as an Airbnb. But there would be a lot less hassle and changeovers as just me throughout. Let me know your thoughts, and If you understood the above!'

Sounds a bit too good to be true- what are people's thoughts, a potential scam? How do I go about checking?

Any advice would be welcome, it is our family home we are renting so I don't want to take unnecessary risk, but equally a long term let would be great!

thanks

Dan

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Daniel8349 

If I received this inquiry my first response would be

1. Can you let me know why you are looking for a three bedroom place for one person?

2. I would confirm my weekly rates already offers a discount for a three week stay. (No reason for you to discount further)

3. If you are looking for a cheaper place then just put in your budget for your stay and dates and then you will see what's available within your budget

As a new host I would limit stays to two week stays maximum so you can build up reviews.

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Daniel8349 The more I think about this the less it makes sense. The guest is looking for a discount and yet there must be plenty of much cheaper places available of a size more suited to one person.

If it is a scam then there will soon be a request to make contact outside of Airbnb as this is needed for most scams. My suspicion is that you will end up with more than one person staying.

At the end of the day all a bit weird - Probably best to pass on this opportunity....

If you do allow the guest then insist on a weekly linen change by you so that the place can be inspected regularly.

Daniel8349
Level 2

@Mike-And-Jane0 Thanks for your response and advice, yes I agree, strange that one person wants to rent a 3 bedroom house. The enquiry is also for 3 weeks and then they mention a month, and then offering to a pay 'a bit more' - all sounds a bit too good to be true.. Good tip on the linen change. I may just follow the conversation further to see what I can uncover, as it is quite intriguing, but will be very cautious about committing to anything....

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Daniel8349 Also remember that any stay over 31 days will not count as a Furnished Holiday Let (if that is how you are renting) and that there is a length of stay (rumoured to be 31 days in the UK) at which point the renter gains tenancy rights.

@Daniel8349   All Airbnb users can filter their searches by price, and negotiation is not standard.  Scams tend to target new listings, so you're right to be especially on guard.

Keep your parameters firm - be sure your calendar has a maximum length of stay set to make sure you don't unwittingly get stuck with a guest you can't evict at will. And don't let yourself get pushed around on pricing - that only signals that you can be pushed around on many other things too. 

For what it's worth, you don't have to hit the Decline or Pre-Approve button when a Booking Inquiry comes in - you only have to write back (even just the word "no.") However, you are required to either accept or decline a Reservation Request within 24 hours.  It may sound like the same thing, but the difference is that a Request is binding, and the prices are locked in. Discount-seekers can't readily waste your time with these, because they're charged as soon as you accept.

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Daniel8349 

There was a recent prime time news show that featured a lot of rental scams in the UK. Even if you had a lease there would be nothing to stop him from renting it out to someone else. Without a lease and over 30 days he could collect as much deposit and several months rent from unsuspecting renter and provide a year lease. It will become your responsibility. I’m sure good laugh about you changing linens. Probably won’t be necessary after the locks have changed so at least you wouldn’t need to bother with that. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Daniel8349  It may be a scam (why would 1 person who plans to hardly be there need a 3 bedroom house)  or it might just be someone asking for a discount. 

What you need to be aware of is that guests asking for discounts is a big red flag. You should stick to the pricing you set. Guests' financial situation isn't your affair- they should look for listings within their budget.

Those who start out asking for discounts usually turn out to be entitled, objectionable guests in other ways. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Daniel8349 

If I received this inquiry my first response would be

1. Can you let me know why you are looking for a three bedroom place for one person?

2. I would confirm my weekly rates already offers a discount for a three week stay. (No reason for you to discount further)

3. If you are looking for a cheaper place then just put in your budget for your stay and dates and then you will see what's available within your budget

As a new host I would limit stays to two week stays maximum so you can build up reviews.

Daniel8349
Level 2

@Helen3 Thanks for your advice, great responses, I have just opted for a blanket 'not interested in longer stays', as I simply am not interested in taking a risk for my first stay, and have had no response, so maybe that is a sign, who knows.

Based on your advice,  I have reset my maximum stay as well.

Thanks again to everyone who has responded, invaluable for a newbie host!

All the best.