Only renting to people who have had the Covid vaccine; also, consequences for bad renters

Only renting to people who have had the Covid vaccine; also, consequences for bad renters

I figure that by summer pretty much everyone who wants a vaccine in the U.S. will have had access to one. I only want to rent to vaccinated people. It is irresponsible and selfish to not do whatever you can to help prevent spreading this lethal virus. That's my personal reason. If you want a business reason, last summer I blocked 3 days before and after each booking because of Covid.  Since I usually only get 2-day bookings, that seriously cut into my profits last year. If all my guests are vaccinated the risk of transmission will drop substantially and I won't need to have a 6-day buffer for each booking.

My next issue: Airbnb should have a s**t list for bad renters. Thank heavens most people are delightful but I have occasionally had the Guest from Hell stay here, and there is NO WAY I'm going to leave them a negative review!! THEY KNOW WHERE I LIVE!!  Right?!! I'm certain I'm not alone in this!  You have to leave a review before Airbnb asks "Would you rent to this person again?". How about asking that upfront, separate from a review?!  If the person gets an X-number of anonymous negatives, they should get thrown off, and that should be stated policy.  I'm now always suspicious of people with no reviews, especially if they've been members for a year or more. WHY hasn't anyone said anything about them? The way things are, I feel like turning off automatic booking and rejecting anyone with zero feedback. 

39 Replies 39

Bravo!

No I don't agree at all, not nosey or controlling.  I believe it is up to the individual Host to run with their own policy. Its my property(and home). When we have a wider number of vaccinated people here in New Zealand  I will make it pretty clear for the guest to see before booking.  No vaccination ....no stay.  To me its not a matter of discrimination, its a matter of our health. This is one health decision that is not just a matter of the guests health.  On the other side of the coin I don't intend to stay at any establishment that doesn't have that requirement. Its not for you to say anyone else is in the wrong business.

The decision whether or not to vaccinate affects everyone.  I hope all unvaccinated potential guests think as you do and stay away,  because I only want to host double vaccinated guests. I have found guests booking with us are reassured by our policy, no drop in occupancy at all. 

Actually, you can choose to rent to only vaccinated guests. You just have to ask them if they’re vaccinated, hope they are honest, and make your decision. As a vaccinated host with underlying health concerns, I’m not about to let people expose me to a virus for which we have had several vaccines for months - particularly since there are now variants going around.  You’re right in that you can’t control other people’s behaviors, but you can control how their behavior affects you and your health in your own home. I actually think that if you’re not vaccinated, you should not be allowed to host.

I totally agree with you , Michelle. I feel the same way. 

I agree. I would want to rent only from a vaccinated host who rents to vaccinated guests so that everyone is as safe as possible. As you said, the vaccine has been around for months. Everyone has had sufficient time to get it.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Anne8819  Your musings about requiring guests to be vaccinated are part of a larger conversation that's just beginning.  There's an article in tomorrow's New York Times about whether buildings can require vaccinations for its staff and visiting workers, like nannies, housekeepers, and construction workers.  All the legal minds interviewed doubted it, though Federal guidelines issued in December allow employers to require their employees to get vaccinated.  Employees are one thing, but contract workers, day laborers, and hotel and Airbnb guests are another. 

In Maine, where I host, visitors from most states are required to provide proof of a negative test within 72 hours of arrival.  I'll be interested to see if the state starts requiring proof of vaccination.  If they do, I will have to pass that requirement along to my guests.  But I can't require it on my own - that would fall under the heading of discrimination.

At the moment, it's doubtful you can require your guests be vaccinated, but you yourself should get yourself and any regular workers vaccinated as soon as your region has a supply for your age range.

@Kia272 

Not quite true. You can require it in your house rules and policies that someone be vaccinated. That is not discrimination, it is a global health pandemic and falls under quite a different category. And, if the host has underlying health concerns, it is their right to protect their own health in their own home. 

After you sure? I've gotten dinged for discrimination regarding children under safely for the child. 

Yes but the safety of the child doesn't affect the safety of yourself or others.

You are right Ann. I feel Hosts should be vaccinated as well as all Guests. 

@Anne8819 

The vaccine does not prevent you from transmitting the disease, nor does it prevent you from being covid-positive.

It prevents life-threatening complications.
It will ease the strain on hospitals.

The real vaccine that prevents the disease from entering the body is for later.

@Nathalie-Et-Gilles0 there is actually more and more evidence that the vaccines do also block transmission, which is awesome.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/03/12/pfizer-covid-vaccine-works-against-asymptomati...

I literally just had it courtesy of my sister, who was fully vaccinated.🤦🏻‍♀️

This is spreading misinformation.