Request for NINO

Geraldine417
Level 1
Bristol, United Kingdom

Request for NINO

Airbnb is requesting personal tax information. I have asked them for chapter and verse and eventually was told to ignore the request. However I find the emails stressful and the notification alert confusing. There is no requirement for a UK citizen to provide this information. I’m glad Airbnb take taxation seriously (as I do) but this request is inappropriate. Is any other UK citizen (or who doesn’t apply to) had thus issue? Thanks 

8 Replies 8
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Geraldine417 

From a fellow host in Bristol .

There is actually a new legal requirement for you to provide your NI or UTR information as part of new digital distance selling regulations . This is put in place to ensure businesses like ours are paying tax on the income we earn via digital channels.

who told you to ignore the request ? 

Geraldine417
Level 1
Bristol, United Kingdom

Thanks. The question is -what law? 

Exactly!  I've asked at least FIVE times for clarification - totally ignored.

Because they know they are NOT enititled to this confidential information.

Guess they will have to take action against me for breaking a law they won't tell me about!!! it's ridiculous.

See my reply to Geraldine, Airbnb confirmed in writing 18/9/24 that supplying information is at "my discretion" BUT then followed up with several emails advising me payments will be paused until I do.  No idea how to proceed but I'm not providing accommodation without payment.  It's a total mess

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Geraldine417 you have every right to ignore this request from Airbnb and you are correct that

there is no requirement for a UK citizen to provide it BUT. The consequence  is likely to be your removal from the platform. Airbnb, by law, has to supply details of earnings by its hosts to HMRC. Without a national insurance number or tax identification number it cannot do this so it will have to remove you from the platform. Goodbye.

Thank you for replying .. the question is what law.. 

Anyway it’s resolved. 

Mike

Re : Removal from Platform

Airbnb also won't answer this point - I stated under no circumstances am I providing my NI Number - if it is a deal breaker - so be it- remove me and cancel my bookings - no response!

Elisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Geraldine417 ‌😊‌, 

Thank you for asking this in the community!

I just read your comment, and I’m glad you solved the situation!

I’m curious, how did you do that?

It would be helpful for other hosts to share the solution as well!

Warm regards 🌻,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center