Rules and laws in Puerto Rico

Rules and laws in Puerto Rico

Hello and thanks in advance. I am looking at purchasing a property in Puerto Rico. What laws and rules are there before I can list it as an AirBnB rental? I read I have to first obtain a license for small business owners. How long does it take to obtain the license? Is it difficult to get? Anything else I need? All information is helpful and appreciated. 

8 Replies 8
Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Hi @Jacob670 , it sounds like you're planning to embark on a very exciting new adventure!

It can be a challenge sometimes to find local Hosts who know about laws and regulations as this is a global Community Center. You could check if there's a Facebook Host Club for Puerto Rico Hosts and post your question there as well. You can find the Host Clubs here: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Get-Local/ct-p/en_clubs

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

I’m a current host in PR and as far as I’m aware, you do not need a local business license. You will need to register the property as a new hotelier with the Puerto Rico Tourism Company and also purchase a bond with a local insurance company which the PRTC helps connect you with. This bond insurance renews annually and is inexpensive (about $100/year). Your PRTC registration also allows the booking platforms to collect and pay local tourism taxes on your behalf without you having to go thru any extra steps on your own. That’s what I have been doing for the last several years without issue. Hope this is helpful!

The problem now is when you going to paid local taxes to the town where the AIRBNB is they want you to have a fire inspector, sanitation inspection,back ground check,Taxes been full paid for the property,comercial business license,ARPE permit.

Hi @Nerissa-And-Josh0  I'm looking to air bnb my house in orocovis PR. The house is ready to go. If everything goes well I will be in puerto rico Thursday -Saturday. I read online that I should go to hacienda to fill out A Merchants Registration Certificate is required. Is that correct?

Also, can I register the property as a new hotelier with the Puerto Rico Tourism online? 

Hi Zoraida, I am currently in the same boat. Trying to find out if the Merchant's Registration is necessary. In trying to register the property with the Room Tax of PR, it is telling me that I need the merchant registration. Were you able to find anything out?

Hi, where does one add the hotelier number on airbnb? When I go to taxes, the choices are to use an SSN or an EIN. 

Hello, 

I see you are from NY, Like myself. I too host in Puerto Rico .  I did id the merchant certificate & Bond. My question is how do you file your taxes? Must I file in Puerto Rico? I have a 9-5 and file in NY but not sure if I am supposed to file anything in P.R? hoping you can help with this question