Suspended Listing Without Notice or Reason

Matthew2169
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

Suspended Listing Without Notice or Reason

Hi guys, my name is Matt. I have been a member of the Airbnb community and a super host for nearly 10 years. I am desperately trying to find some advice and info and want to know if anyone has experienced a similar incident (below) and has had it resolved, and how...

Last week all (5) of our listings were suspended without notice or reason. I can only assume it is to do with an incident we had at one of our listings where the guests had a small party, took drugs, ruined the carpets, smoked inside, emptied the jacuzzi water and cause several neighbours to complain about noise (screaming, shouting and laughing loudly until 05h30am on two separate evenings/mornings). However this issue was resolved and the guests paid for the damages and extra cleaning costs. So we assumed this was squashed! 

Then 2 weeks later, after the problem guests had checked out and paid additional fees, Airbnb have suspended all of out accounts. No one from Airbnb have been able to explain why our listings have been suspended. We keep getting passed around and only last night, an Airbnb "safety" ambassador called us back. He had no idea of what the incident was and had to keep going back through message thread to get up to speed. He said due to safety reasons he wasn't allowed to disclose any information as to what the issue was, or what "incident" occurred.

To be honest I think it is an Airbnb fault, default on their platform, system which has caused our suspension. I don't know! 

I have spoken to the guest we had the issue with as I thought maybe she had something to do with the suspension, but she said no and that her account was also suspended! 

We were only notified by Airbnb that our account was suspended after the fact. We weren't told why or given any information or any notice. Then in the same message the Airbnb representative goes on to ask random questions about our CCTV systems. We answered these questions a week ago and heard nothing back from them. I cant imagine Airbnb would suspend an account on the basis of hosts having security measures in place to protect both guests and hosts? Our listing mentions the exterior cameras, guests are made aware of the cameras on check-in and we mention the CCTV in our house manual.  The other thing is that I spoke privately with the guest and she says she never complained about the cameras. Other than the above mentioned guests we have a full 5 star rating. So I don't know whats is going on.

If Airbnb are so worried and think its deemed reasonable to suspend listings, how cant they allow guests to complete their stays until the issue/dispute (whatever that may be) is resolved?

This is the quietest period for us and we are losing out on thousands of rands/dollars worth of income for both the home owners and us as the property managers. There is a serious amount of loss of revenue for us at the moment and for no reason!

I find it quite sad and unfair that Airbnb would suspend a long lasting, dedicated hosts account without any explanation or notice.

We have also seen the messages sent to us from Airbnb have been edited over the past week, yet no one has got back to us with any information. So they are able to edit the messaged and change what they say and how long they out of office for, but cant message to explain what is actually going on?

The telephone call we received last night was pointless as it resolved nothing and we are still in the dark. Our properties are still suspended without reason.

If anyone has any ideas of who we can chat to or call in Airbnb with enough authority to explain to us the issue and have it resolved that would be amazing?

Our next step is to club together and take legal action against Airbnb for loss of income as we have so heavily relied upon during the past.

It is totally unnecessary for a company of such standing to treat their hosts and guests like this.

Sheuw it's frustrating...

Thanks for reading,

Matt

6 Replies 6
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Matthew2169 

Yes, frustrating, possibly even damaging. Absurd, really.

But read through the forums. Happens all the time. Few are informed at all, fewer ever find out why. Even Airbnb often appears to be clueless. 

It's happened to us several times, and I've never been informed or given any explanation. And in those cases, we hadn't had any recent unsatisfied guests, so I couldn't even come up with a guess. 

It's just another random Airbnb mystery. But .. be sure not to do it again. Whatever it was 🙃

Thanks @Elaine701 

Thats so frustrating. I've just gone through the forums and seen its very common.  I would love to know the legalities of this and I think we will pursue and find out. It not right! Thanks for your feedback.

Joelle43
Level 10
Cannes, France

Hello @Matthew2169 

I'm so sorry for what you're going through and if you use the search bar here on the CC - (Search the community)  you'll read about other hosts facing the same issue especially recently.  No warning, no idea why listings are suspended even if they speak to someone at CS but the recent clamp down on cameras, even disclosed ones that are authorised in certain circumstances seem to play a big part.  

Another one is when hosts call CS to say their guests had a party and THEY are the ones who get their listings suspended for declaring what is officially banned by Airbnb.  Why?

If you have a case open, sometimes our Community Managers here on the CC can nudge those in the know at Airbnb so worth a shot🙏 @Bhumika @Paula 

Keep calling CS and i really hope you get re-listed quickly

Joëlle

Thanks @Joelle43,

Its crazy and almost "false accusation". I would love to know how to be a better host or how to make things right if we have truly made the mistake. I think it would be farer for Airbnb to mediate and be honest with hosts (as well as guests) and make things right as appose to aggressively suspending honest hosts listings.

What is the point of the review system if you just get punished for host's feedback! 

Airbnb as a company have changed drastically over the past few years and all they now seem to care about is their profit and bottom line. I remember when they were super helpful and authentic, caring about service and the community. They have gotten so large they seemingly can't keep up with there original ethos and philosophy. 

Thanks for your reply Joëlle, it seems like a common thing Airbnb seem to just get away with. sad

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Place properties in separate host accounts 🙂

Matthew2169
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

Not a bad shout Pete!