Taxes in Italy

Daniela2846
Level 1
Freising, Germany

Taxes in Italy

Hello Airbnb Community, 

I am a non-italian renting a my house in italy and I'm a little confused by the income taxes requirements in Italy. I understand that Airbnb will withhold 21% of the rent-income for the agenzia delle entrate. If I only use Airbnb and they aer withholding this 21% of all my bookings, do I still need to do a income tax declaration separately ?

thank you in advance!

Daniela

3 Replies 3
Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Daniela2846 👋

Hope you're well. I'm going to tag some Hosts from various places in Italy who may be able to support. @Andrea6232@Angela1056 & @Roberto2387, are you able to support @Daniela2846 with income tax requirements in Italy? 🇮🇹 

Many thanks in advance 🤗

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Angela1056
Level 10
Linarolo, Italy

Ciao @Daniela2846 

The convention against double taxation between Italy and Germany, number 459 from 24th nov. 1992, with regard to rental income, provides that the income that a resident of a Contracting State (Germany) obtains from immovable property located in the other Contracting State (Italy) is taxable in that other Contracting State.

It is indifferent whether the payment is in Italy or in Germany.

Airbnb will notify the Revenue Agency (via the Irish Tax Authorities) of your Tax ID as an income earner via the platform.

In addition to the periodic payment of the IMU, the fees received in 2024 must be included in the Tax Return to be filed in 2025, with the possibility (being a property located in Italy) to opt for the tax, replacing IRPEF and additional, of 21% (cedolare secca). 
Anyway, this is my personal knowledge as host and tax payer on Airbnb and you’d better consult an accountant. 

I’m also wondering how you, as a non resident, managed to register your property to the Municipality, the Region, Alloggiatiweb and tourist tax (if required) form abroad.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

income tax is the tax you pay on the profit for your STR business @Daniela2846  you need professional advice from an accountant with knowledge of dual taxation between the country you live in and Italty @Daniela2846