Tip jar for cleaners, snacks, postage for mailing back forgotten items, etc

Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

Tip jar for cleaners, snacks, postage for mailing back forgotten items, etc

I searched the community and don’t see anything post covid about tip jars. post covid tip jars/screens are everywhere.

I do not charge a cleaning fee, I do my own cleaning. I also provide ground coffee, Kcups, creamer, cocoa, tea, bottled water, pretzels and other snacks, condiments, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, home made bar soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss, Qtips, cotton rounds, shower caps, feminine hygiene, etc. I’m Thinking about putting out a tip jar for replacing snacks and amenities and mailing back forgotten items- three mailings so far this year.

Don’t everyone jump down my throat if you don’t like the idea. I’m just trying to see if anyone else is doing this. Thank you. 

2 Replies 2
Guy991
Top Contributor
Sintra, Portugal

Hello @Dawn241 ,

When I started a year ago, I considered implementing a tip box but ultimately decided against it for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, the effectiveness of a tip box as a source of income is limited. Unlike restaurants, which benefit from a high volume of transactions, a tip box in accommodation settings is unlikely to generate significant financial impact. Instead, you might consider incorporating a small increase in your nightly rate, such as an additional dollar, to cover any additional expenses, including mailing costs.

Secondly, while the tip box is a thoughtful gesture, it can sometimes be perceived as a request for reciprocation rather than a genuine act of generosity. True generosity, as you exemplify with the thoughtful amenities you provide (including the pretzels!), does not seek anything in return. Some guests may respond positively, but others might not be as receptive to the idea of tipping. I find that generosity, particularly in the form of time and attention, often yields positive reviews.

In summary, if you choose to try a tip jar, it’s important to manage your expectations and not take it personally if it doesn’t receive much use or only collects small amounts.
On the other hand, maybe my theory is wrong, and people here are making loads of money with tip jars. If that’s the case, I might implement one too! 🙂

Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Dawn241 

I am in the anti-tip-jar camp, but I do sympathise with you for having to return the forgotten items.

Lately I've standardised my lost-and-found system as follows: I send a photo of the items in the message thread, along with a price list (for a very reasonably priced service) showing how much it would cost to courier it. The guests can then decide whether they want me to send it (and choose between more expensive fast or less expensive slower options). As soon as I've collected the money through the send/receive money function on the app, I send the items. It seems to work well so far.

As for the tip jar concept, I think how it is received by guests may depend on where your visitors are from. I'm aware that asking for tips is a widespread practice in the US, but in many other parts of the world it may be frowned upon. My advice would be to consider where the majority of your visitors tend to come from.