Unhappy Guest

Tracy-Lynn0
Level 2
Houston, TX

Unhappy Guest

Hi. I need advisement on a issue situation I’m currently experiencing with a guest. The initial complaint guest contacted me about she was experiencing marks on her skin and could possibly be bed bugs. I put in a request to my building manager to have someone come check the unit and spray inside the unit. Issue went away for weeks then issue reoccurred after 5 weeks. I placed a second request with building manager for someone to come out again the maintenance guy wasn’t 100% sure if it was bed bugs due to nothing in sight, guy sprayed during the second request. To satisfy & further resolve the issue I hired Terminix to examine the unit for bed bugs. Results from the professional exterminator, “Unit isn’t infested with anything, there’s no bed bugs “. During the examination, Terminix discovered mold on the rim of a bed frame. Terminix & guest reported the issue to me. Not sure how the mold could have gotten there due to the bed is very much NEW. To resolved the mold issue since the bed bug issue was resolved. I offer guest to have a professional or myself to clean the mold from the bed frame where the mattress lay. Guest was extremely disrespectful and demanded “I want the bed replaced and removed out the unit asap”. I ordered a new bed within 1 hour and scheduled for someone to take down and remove the old bed along with same day  delivery and set up of a brand new bed. Guest stated she wasn’t available for the set after 4 when delivery was scheduled. I rescheduled for the bed to be delivered next day for 9-11 AM window. Guest stated she wouldn’t be available for the set up. 

I’ve offered many solutions to the guest to resolve the issue as soon as possible but it has been extremely difficult to please the guest. Guest has contacted Airbnb due to the issue, I have placed things on pause until I hear from Airbnb. Will you please give me some advice on how to handle this matter. Thank you

6 Replies 6
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Tracy-Lynn0   If the guest was so concerned, she should have cancelled the booking or allowed you to replace the bed per the deliveryman’s schedule.  You are probably looking at a full refund and a poor review from this guest.  I would cancel the remainder of the booking and refund for the remaining nights.   I would also categorize this guest as a scammer, intent on a free stay.  

I had a bedbug scammer years ago.   To prevent further claims and to reassure future guests, I posted in a nice frame the certificate from my exterminator stating that the property had been found bedbug free and had been further treated against all bugs.  I kept this updated for several years.  

On another note, I looked at your listing.  Your wording implies a luxurious accommodation for 3, including an air mattress which is IMO not luxury.  Luxury wording will attract a certain kind of guest, usually entitled and requiring constant attention.  I would adjust my guest numbers and wording to attract the guest who is willing to pay your price for a delightful accommodation and who will not break the bank by demanding new furnishings and services.  Best wishes for surviving the current guest.  

Tracy-Lynn0
Level 2
Houston, TX

thank you for this response. Your last paragraph is exactly what she is. She really thought she was at the 4 seasons and requesting that I send bring her flowers. She has been a pain since day 1 finding the smallest things to complain about. She’s a traveling nurse who stayed for 3 months. Her contract got extended for another 3 months and insisted to stay instead of finding another Airbnb if the bed bug issue was a problem. 

so can I go ahead and cancel the remainder of the reservation and put her out. According to Airbnb she filed a case and wants to leave. 

do not cancel this guest or you risk losing a lot of money. Read the latest cancellation policies.You cannot cancel a guest because you do not like her .H

Airbnb has cancelled the rest of the stay. That’s the risk I lost major cause she was so difficult and not patient with the process. It all could have been avoided if she was patient. Now she’s ok with having the mold cleaned until she leaves now that Airbnb got involved that she initiated 

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Tracy-Lynn0 firstly get the reprt that says there is no infestation and ask the guest to pay for it . secondly maybe the spraying , which you should never have authorised in a guests room , while they were using it , caused the mould . Mould is an issue . If a new bed is delivered ,simply tell the guest that you are attending to take delivery and do set up . That is normal as this is an STR not a tenancy.Also you should be doing weekly turnovers .Give your guest some movie tickets ,or a nice bottle of wine or a dinner at a restaurant in your area for their co operation and apologise. sometimes complaints about 'bed bugs ' are a ploy to terminate the stay and get a refund of the remaining days . All the best H

Tracy-Lynn0
Level 2
Houston, TX

Thank you for your response. The issue has been resolved. No penalties has been made against. According to Airbnb no report is needed. It al turned to be the guest is ok with having the mold cleaned off the bed frame and she’s leaving end of the month. It all resulted in what I was trying to accomplish the same day this happened but guest was extremely difficult. I have a team to handle this type of matters when I’m not present. Airbnb understood and agreed with me. Guest requested for a refund, Airbnb stated a refund is not needed when I showed proof of trying to resolve the issue to the guest. I’m satisfied. Thank you.