VAT in Greece - Host asking guest for details

Sonia1630
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

VAT in Greece - Host asking guest for details

Hi, I've been asked by a Greek host to provide a VAT number. Does anyone know if this makes sense/is normal?

Many thanks!

Son

11 Replies 11
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

No it doesn't @Sonia1630 

Sonia1630
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi @Helen3, thanks. I'll cancel it and start my search again. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Sonia1630 Be careful - Are you sure its a full refund cancellation?

Hi @Mike-And-Jane0 , the policy says free cancellation up to 24 before arrival

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Sonia1630 excellent - then all you need to know is that you must cancel this stay before you book another one otherwise the Airbnb fee (at least) won't be refunded. I do wonder if cancelling is needed though. Perhaps the host just got confused/is asking for something else?

@Mike-And-Jane0  Yes, I've asked for more details and the reply was that he needs my address and a "number" which I think is the passport number. Sent him another message to clarify number. Hopefully, all he wants is the passport details. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Sonia1630 I think it will be passport details - possibly of the whole group travelling to comply with Greek law. 

@Mike-And-Jane0, you're probably right. I'll do that. I still have a couple of days before cut-off point. Thanks again!

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Sonia1630 no it makes no sense at all. Guests might ask for VAT numbers but most hosts are probably not registered for VAT.

Elias274
Level 2
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Hi @Sonia1630 - ANY luck with this?  I am struggling with exactly the same - cant seem to register- get one - and I keep asking GR Accountants to help and they just send me to the taxis - site - which I have not registered with - and and not sure how even to reg there.  PLS do let me know IF youve had any luck. 

Sonia1630
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi @Elias274, I ended up sending my passport details and post code and that was enough. It was something about details for a receipt in case I needed one. Besides this strange ask, my holiday was fine with no further requests of personal details. I hope this helps and you have a good time.