VAT tax in Mexico

Answered!

VAT tax in Mexico

I have 2 separate questions regarding the VAT taxes collected by Airbnb on the rentals of my Mexican property:

1) As I host, I must pay VAT tax on the hosting fee which I pay to Airbnb.  I understand and accept that. Airbnb sends me an invoice/receipt which shows the fee and the VAT tax which they charged me.  However, my Mexican accountant just told me that since my RFC number does not appear on this receipt, the receipt will not be accepted by the Mexican tax authorities.  How can I get a receipt with my RFC number on it?

2) As a guest, my guests are supposedly charged and pay to Airbnb a 16% VAT tax for Mexico.  My accountant advises me that I should get a print-out of all RFC taxes paid for my property or I will be liable to pay them again when the tax authorities see my income.  How do I get proof of VAT taxes paid on my property rentals?

1 Best Answer

I believe your accountant is misinformed. Airbnb and the Mexican tax dept. are co-ordinated on this. Airbnb is submitting the IVA for all bookings to The Mexican tax authority. As in other places where Airbnb collects the VAT, they don't submit it individually for each hosting account- they send a lump sum for all bookings, although I have no idea how often they do that.

I've yet to deal with this first hand myself, as my home-share listing has been closed since March due to COVID, but I did submit my RFC# to Airbnb.

@Peter-and-Wendy2

View Best Answer in original post

76 Replies 76

I'd like clarification on this as well Tom as my Mexican accountant still does not believe that Airbnb is processing the VAT collections and payments properly.  He has not yet seen clear paperwork to the renters (us) regarding how much is collected, who it's paid to and what we, as renters, are responsible to pay.  Hopefully the more tax educated out there on these links will reply.  Thank you!

Jason2150
Level 1
Redwood City, CA

Some time has passed since this thread was active.  I am struggling to understand the payments my accountant is making to SAT.  (For background, my property is in Jalisco and I have a (Mexican) RFC and all of my tax situation is in Mexico.)

I see that Airbnb is now collecting and remitting to the respective authorities the following deductions - Host service fee (3.0%), MX income tax withheld (4%),  VAT withheld (8%).   The guest paid - rental, cleaning fee, Guest services fee, and "Occupancy taxes".  

Now the Occupancy taxes the guest paid is almost exactly 19% (IVA + Jalisco Lodging tax ISH 3%).

BUT I am not receiving the entire 19% in order to remit this to SAT.   I am receiving 16% of the taxes collected from the guest to pay.  Then I get how Airbnb is sending 8% of it (VAT withheld) over to SAT and my accountant sends over the rest depending upon cancellations/etc.

So from what I see, Airbnb is POCKETING? 3% of the collected taxes the guest paid  but did not send to me and I have no record of who that amount is going to or why?   Is it just me or is this still broken?