What is going to happen to reservations post 31st May? We need to have a plan.

What is going to happen to reservations post 31st May? We need to have a plan.

After the initial shock of @Airbnb unilaterally changing the cancellation policies for reservations arriving up to and including 31st May

(which many of us have contrasting views on).

We like many host have been trying to rebuild and recover some sort of order for the remainder of this year.

However we are regularly being contacted by guests whose stays are well after the 31st May deadline (in June, July and August).
They too are asking for 100% refunds. Some are aware of the current policy and ask why we will not offer a 100% refund to them and we have even had a couple of clients who have told us that they will wait until Airbnb extend the date of this policy and then cancel 100% free of any financial burden!

We need to know now what Airbnb's action plan is. We can no longer make plans ourselves as Airbnb have shown that they can and will just rewrite the policies at the drop of a hat and without any consultation, so we must hear from them. 

Will the 100% refund policy be extended past 31st May?

Will a different sliding scale policy be introduced (e.g 50%refund for June reservations, 30% for July and 10% for August)?

Will we return to our normal polices after 31st May?

Will Airbnb offer more protection to its hosts?

We need to know whether we should be trying to encourage the guests to cancel now for them to forfeit their deposits or can we recommend with confidence that they hang on to see how the Covid-19 travel restrictions develop, knowing that then if they still cancel that we will not be left with zero again?

Also what protection do we have if we change the dates for guests? We have some guests who want to deffer their stay to later this year and others want to postpone for 12 months. Effectively they will be extending the cancellation policies.
Will Airbnb guarantee that if at a later date these guests then decide to cancel, that we will still receive the full funds due for these reservations?

We appreciate there is a lot to consider and people from Airbnb are looking into this and are extremely busy, but we do need a plan to move forward.

The loss of nearly three months revenue in our properties has had a massive effect on not only us but the people whom we employ. The season where our homes are is very seasonal. Having lost over 40% of this years season already, we need to be able to limit further damage.

81 Replies 81

Hi @Rodney11 & @Elad27 

We have been talking with Airbnb CS a lot lately and to try to help clarify the above, we have a strict cancellation policy and we did not select to allow the guests to pay less upfront, but Airbnb automatically has given all our guests the option to pay 50% at time of confirmation and then the balance is due 14 days prior to arrival.

The big issue with Airbnb promising to pay 25% of the reservation cost for covid-19 cancellations is that Airbnb have proactively contacted guests to inform them that they can cancel with 100% refund. This has been to encourage the cancellation before the 14 day period (when the balance is due). This means that Airbnb can then pay the 25% only on the funds received from the guest (50%). Effectively you will only receive a payout from Airbnb for 12.5%.
We have also received a cancellation within the seven days prior to arrival and have been told by Airbnb that the guest did not pay the balance (even though it was due eight days before their cancellation), so again we will only receive 12.5%.

If the guest is receiving a 100% refund and Airbnb have made this BIG statement about helping the hosts by paying them 25%, why deliberately wrangle it to make sure that they only pay 12.5%?
Why not just be honest from the beginning?

Airbnb hold all the purse strings so know they can hold us hostage. They are deliberately removing the totals from the cancelled reservations so that you have less ability to keep track of what was paid by when and effectively what funds you are due to receive from Airbnb.

Regardless of feeling aggrieved by loosing 4 months revenue from the unilateral change of policy, the decisions and manner in which Airbnb have continued to handle this crisis has left us and I feel many other hosts feeling very let down and that we cannot trust Airbnb

This was Airbnb answer 

Airbnb Support2:16 PM

This Reservation is paid less upfront .Again it is not elligible for 25% . Apologies for the inconvenience but we have set up guidelines on how to sopport our hosts. But if you think that it is not enough, I suggest to leave a feedback at www.aribnb.com/feedback. We all hear your voices that is why we have created a support for our hosts. Thanks for your time
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Getting back to the original question, I saw this pinned notice last night. But it simply takes you to your reservation page. Something coming?

Edit. Second message.

Screenshot 2020-04-22 at 07.42.07.png

We should have all gotten our answer to this last night - emails going out saying that AirBnb will update us on possibly extending their EC policy on 5/1 through June, giving us as hosts the time to reach out to guests in June to see if they want to book or cancel now with credit. 

Received the email this morning.

Yes they are going to extend their Covid-19 policy.
The guests will be allowed to cancel and receive 100% refund or travel voucher as before (see below).

What that would mean for you

• If a guest’s travel plans are affected by COVID-19, they will have the option to reschedule.

• If they need to cancel, they will receive a full refund or travel credit, and you won’t receive a payout.

The big changes between the 31st May deadline and the new 30th June one is that as a host:

These reservations will not be eligible for any payment under our $250m support initiative, since the programme only covers check-in dates until 31 May. 

Cancel penalty-free by 30 April. Whether you’re unable to host or you want to open your calendar for longer-term stays, you can now cancel any upcoming reservations this year booked before 15 March. You won’t pay a fee, have your calendar blocked, or have your Superhost status affected.

So hosts are again without any financial support, but can clear their calendar to make way for long term stays.

Needless to say, with four months of cancellations and no revenue, it doesn't feel very 'super' to be a host at the moment!

Alex---Michael0
Level 6
Berlin, Germany

Here is my update and good by:

Airbnb keeps violating their own rules and now overruled me in 4 cases outside their EC policy. They don't even allow a discussion about it and simply send standard messages, not answering a single question of mine.

I had six listings, now I deleted four of them and the two others will follow mid May. I DON'T WANT TO BE PART OF THIS PLATFORM ANYMORE! It's not only the corona situation, it started some years ago since airbnb constantly favors guests, even the liars and mentally sick ones. ENOUGH. I lost this business and will surely give up income. BUT, I want to keep my sanity and not be dependent on a narcissist anymore.

I'm out!

Please follow me and don't let a (former) monopolist take your dignity!!!

Yes and the hurt continues with this fine POS company.  I've cut prices on other websites to increase their revenue and getting quite a few bookings.  25% and the rest in the toilet.  THX FOR THE SUPPORT!!!