Where can I find a report that shows when and how much Airbnb remitted to state tax commission?

Where can I find a report that shows when and how much Airbnb remitted to state tax commission?

Hi! My main host recently received a tax notice due to failure to file Sales and Use Tax and Transient Room Tax. 

I have read in an article that Airbnb collects and remits taxes on the Host's behalf and it is the Host's responsibility to file tax return. I already called Utah State Tax Commission and the csr told me I needed to file a zero return if all the bookings are in Airbnb. If there are any bookings outside Airbnb, I would need to collect, file and pay for it.

I am confused now if I still have to file a return for those remittances made by Airbnb.

Is there a report I can find that shows how much was remitted and when it was remitted to Utah State Tax Commission? I can see how much has been collected from the guests in the gross earning report but I'd like to know when those were remitted and how much was remitted each time before I go on and file a 0 tax return.

Does anyone know? Thanks!

7 Replies 7
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Jocell1   There is no report that is going to tell you when and how much AirBnB has remitted in taxes to the State, County or municipality.

My property is in NC.  AirBnB collects taxes for my State, County and Municipality.  Every month I add up  what AirBnB collected in taxes from  my guests.  I then submit a zero tax owed monthly return to the State, the County and my Municipality.   IMO, YES, you are required to file a tax return even though AirBnB is collecting and remitting on your behalf.

@Lorna170 , thank you so much for taking time to respond to my question! This is very helpful! I can now be at peace before filing a zero return LOL. Thanks again!

Teri5
Level 2
Avon, CO

Correct. There is no report. I just had a lengthy chat with support and learned that Airbnb will not disclose gross sales, taxes withheld and my occupancy rate on a quarterly basis, which my municipality requires that I file.

This is outrageous!!!! I have hosted for many years, and tax reporting was much easier before Airbnb got involved. Now I need to hire my accountant to figure out the numbers that Airbnb doesn't provide.

Mary419
Level 10
Savannah, GA

@Jocell1 

Both of the other answers are accurate about them not providing you with any proof or report.  When they first started being responsible for Georgia Sales Tax I spoke to DOR and they said don't worry the state knows they made a deal with these marketplace vendors to do the taxes... the only confusion I had was two different DOR employees saying different things about how to report on my return. One said leave the Airbnb sales off the report altogether (effectively the zero return if yours are all Airbnb). The other said report them as exempt and explain that it was through the third party. I have gone with the former and if I ever get audited I will just have to show how much of my sales went through Airbnb...

The DOR employees confirmed the marketplace (Airbnb or any other giant platform) will pay it all in one giant pooled payment without ANY details on each property or business license or owner it represents.  It is very frustrating when you want to prove you've been doing the right thing.

Your state may let you go down to annual or quarterly returns with all the zeros. Hopefully keeping your business license and tax account open is worthwhile in case you end up with some direct bookings at any point then you will have something to collect and remit on your own... and you can prove that all your other rent/sales came through the third party. Regarding hiring an accountant, if you did not already use one just record that  Airbnb paid the amount that would be due. If you know how much rent they paid you, just assume they collected and remitted the exact percentage you know is required on that figure. No CPA needed for that. 

Because I do have direct bookings I use quick books to record the income with the source noted - whether it is Airbnb or direct or some other third party- so that I can easily run a report showing what rental sales came through each source.

Thank you so much for this!

I think it doesn't make sense to not have any proof of tax remittance from Airbnb for the STC and STR but if that practice works and IRS doesn't question hosts at all, then I'll leave it at that. 

@Mary419 How do you report zero on your DOR returns?  I am reporting it on my account online and it won't let me enter zero.  Any insight?

Eric6334
Level 1
Herriman, UT

Hi, I am running into the same question as I have now ended my first year hosting in Utah. If all my booking are only through Airbnb do I just submit a zero on both transient and sales tax forms in TAP?

thank you in advance, I have been banging my head against the wall trying to answer. 

Eric