Why is Airbnb prompting me to get in touch with my guest over a week ahead of their booking?

Brenda1620
Level 2
Halifax, Canada

Why is Airbnb prompting me to get in touch with my guest over a week ahead of their booking?

I'm getting SO many automated reminders from Airbnb, and I'm feeling like some of them are redundant. Why am I being prompted to get in touch with guests over a week before their arrival? This seems like so much redundant work since their trip plan - to my understanding - doesn't get released until 48 hours before they check in. (Along with all of the directions, questions, etc. that will be answered in their trip guide). Am I missing something?

5 Replies 5
Elena4354
Level 9
Porto, Portugal

Hey @Brenda1620, I understand  you‌😊‌,
A few years ago, we didn't get as many reminders about each booking as we do today. But trust me, it's very important. There are millions of hosts have active listings on Airbnb today, but not every host is responsible and well-organized. For some hosts, it's their main business, while others just rent out their second home or room from time to time and don’t monitor their account every minute like I do 😊

Reminders are really important and I think they work well for some of us‌😀‌.

All the best. 

Elena. 

@Elena4354 So... do you personally reach out to your guests over a week ahead of time, before they have their trip guide? If yes, what do you say?

Hi Brenda,

Currently, Airbnb doesn’t offer specific settings to customize the frequency or types of automated reminders you receive as a host. These reminders are part of Airbnb’s system to ensure consistency in communication and guest satisfaction. However, you can manage your notification preferences to some extent through your account settings to adjust how you receive these reminders (email, text, or push notifications).

If you find the reminders redundant, reaching out to Airbnb support might be helpful. They can provide insights into any new features or upcoming changes that might give you more control over communications. Meanwhile, leveraging your own automated messaging system, like a chatbot, could help manage repetitive communications efficiently.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

**[Advertisement removed in line with theCommunity Center Guidelines]

Thanks @Alicia753 , that's good to know. I don't have a website, so I'm not sure how a chatbot would help. I will reach out to AirBnB however, to get some possible help as to what they're expecting me to do.

Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Brenda1620 

The way I see it, the so-and-so is arriving in 8 days reminder is for hosts with infrequent bookings who may have forgotten how close the next booking is. Airbnb hopes 8 days is enough time to do a good clean & maintenance if you weren't ready. You don't have to message the guest.

The so-and-so is arriving in 2 days reminder is useful for most of us, to make sure we've been in contact with that particular guest and that all ducks are in a row for their stay. When I get that reminder, I read through the booking, check they have arrival details, check the number of guests, do they need a cot, etc.