discount for extending stay to fill calendar

Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

discount for extending stay to fill calendar

We just had a cancelation after our current guests. I've seen that some hosts offer a discount to guests to extend their stay in order to fill the 1-2 open days in their calendar.  How much would you discount?

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Lenore22 

it depends on if the guest has already asked you if it is possible to extend the stay, or if you want to make the guest an offer, so the guest maybe consider to extend the stay.

It also depends on how long the guest has been staying and if receiving a discount already (like weekly discount). And last but not least: did you receive money for the cancelled dates ?

Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

@Emiel1 
- The guest has not asked to extend, I would be making an offer ( to sweeten the deal)

- The guest currently is staying for 2 nights- leaving on a Saturday, so this would allow them to stay the weekend.  We do not offer discounts for weekly/monthly stays and they are basically paying a full peak/weekend rate.

- We did not receive money for the canceled dates.  We allow 24 hours between guests, tho, so we could only host a 1-night-stay if this guest doesn't extend, and I would rather offer it to a vetted/good guest with whom I'm already working than a last-minute booking with someone new.  I'm looking at 20% off our peak/weekend rate because it's a round number, but wasn't sure if that would seem enticing enough.

Thanks for your input,

Lenore

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Lenore22   I have, from time to time, offered a discounted night to an upcoming guest if it will fill a hole in my calendar.  Depending on the day of the week being added, I have discounted up to 30% of my nightly rate.  

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

Half a loaf being better than none, I guess I would take 50% of the regular rate in cash unless I would accrue significant expenses.

The extraordinary bargain is something they are likely to remember and may well be a good investment for you.