hosting in South Africa in accommodation that is not shared

Dee977
Level 1
Schoemanskloof, South Africa

hosting in South Africa in accommodation that is not shared

I would like to hear from other South African hosts who are offering accommodation in stand alone, self catering units that are not shared accommodation.  I have 2 cottages that are totally isolated and stand alone, on the top of the mountain nowhere near our farming operations or each other.  The President recently said that accommodation can be offered as long as it is not "shared accommodation like Airbnb".  Am I legally able to accept an Airbnb booking then if it is not shared?  (We do follow all Covid 19 measures and we will not service the cottages during guests' stay any longer.)

I would appreciate hearing from other SA hosts who are in a similar position.  I have just had an Airbnb enquiry.

Thank you, Dee

1 Reply 1
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Dee977  Your president is obviously misinformed as to the fact that Airbnb is not synonymous with "shared-home". I'm not from S.A., so couldn't say who you should contact for a definitive answer, but it seems there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to rent an entire space, especially since your places are so remote and not near anything or anyone else.

If it were me, I'd just go ahead and accept reservations- it doesn't seem that there are nosy, nasty neighbors around to report you for it, and even if there were, you aren't renting shared accommodation.