"Do you provide entertainment?"‌‌

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

"Do you provide entertainment?"‌‌

I was just asked this with a booking inquiry. 

I responded that we have books, games, Netflx, a record player and records, etc and asked what sort of entertainment they were looking for. The person said "What is there to do?" I listed the attractions around the cottage. The person then said "No I mean for entertainment." I asked what they meant by that and have not heard back yet.

Is this some kind of code thing? Like does this mean "adult entertainment" for example? Anyone have any idea?  

12 Replies 12
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

That's hilarious @Laura2592  i have never come across this .

Do they mean bars and entertainment venues - if so surely they can check themselves ? 

@Helen3 We have a returning guest who always wants places to run errands (where do I get my oil changed? Where can I buy some gel for a painful tooth? Do you know any place that sells socks?) and surely Google can answer that but we pull up info for him. As far as this person goes-- not exactly sure if he expects us to perform a Broadway musical on the porch or if he just wants to gamble or go to a gentleman's club.

@Laura2592   Sounds like a very bored person wasting your time and inching uncomfortably close to Creepytown. I can only recommend blocking him from further contact, and certainly not hosting him, but it's a shame that we'll be deprived of the hilarious nightmare-guest story that would come out of it. 

If you don't know what there is to do somewhere, why would you be planning a trip there?

@Anonymous my last few guests have been very normal! I got pictures of board games being played over this past Valentine's Day weekend and the gentleman prior to that gave me a lot of mechanical insight as to why Samsung doesn't make great refrigerators. We started a new thing where we ask guests to send us pet photos for our social media so people have been really enthused about that. I am sure we will get an oddball here sooner than later though-- never fear!

@Laura2592  If not, we'll have to resort to a fictional fable:  "The Man Who Didn't Know What To Do"

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592  Weird, just weird. You seem to get some of the strangest requests and guests.

@Sarah977 I do indeed. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592  Tell him there's some hot guy eye candy next door according to some of your previous guests 🙂

Towels and linens provided by host. Entertainment provided by Hot Neighbor.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Laura2592 , I did get "what sorts of entertainment do you provide?" once from an inquiry. I just assumed they meant skiing, snowshoeing, things like that. Hmmm.

Anyway, my answer was that we're a "make your own fun" kind of place. 

Not sure I would use that answer on your inquirer...

Thomas18
Level 6
Baltimore, MD

That’s hilarious!  Are they expecting a magic show or a comedy act? Seems like this would be a needy guest, so you dodged a bullet. BTW, your cottage is lovely and just what we look for in a getaway. I’ll put it on my wish list.

@Thomas18 aw thank you! Swooning over your staircase in your listing! What a grande dame of a rowhouse! Our main abode is a Victorian pile built by some wealthy butchers who owned a local meat market, so it really straddles the line between farmhouse and fancy, but it has most of its original woodwork, and that just thrills me no end. I hope you will stay with us one day!